Crazy Headlight Issues - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Crazy Headlight Issues
Saturday, January 13, 2007 2:48 AM
It started off the other night, when I hit the switch to go to brights on my 99 Z24 they dimmed back down to DRL voltage. I thought fine, maybe it's a relay, or fuse, I'll deal with it when it warms up. Well after about 2 days of that the passenger side low beam stopped working also. So I bought a new relay, the big 5 prong for the headlights, and tried new fuses. No love, I can only drive during the day right now, or at early dusk. My DRLS still work on both sides, so I use those at night with the parking lights if I have to drive somewhere... I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to be changing a switch here, but I figured I'd ask opinions first. I tried bulbs first, and it was still doing the same thing. I also searched, but nothing I found quite matched up. Figured I'd see whats up before I went and spent $200 for a new switch.

Re: Crazy Headlight Issues
Saturday, January 13, 2007 5:07 AM
sounds like the infamous connector on the drivers side under the battery is corroded up like it was on my 99 sunfire..

Saturday, January 13, 2007 10:49 AM
Hey thanks for your reply Dennis, that's exactly the type of thing I was looking for. I've got a brass brush and some dielectric grease. I'll have to check that out.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 5:02 AM
Can anyone tell me what I'm looking for regarding this? I have the same problem and need to be sure I know what I'm looking for and how to remove it. Thannks for the help!!!
Tuesday, January 23, 2007 10:45 PM
Its a big ole connector that sits right to the left of the battery, and kind of under it. I still haven't been able to look at mine yet. Its way too cold outside to work on the car. Really makes me miss my garage back home.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:59 AM
also the ground wire there is known for corroding on the headlight harness end. mine did this and that wat it was

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:18 PM
already rewired my connector as well, time consuming and a PITA at times but not difficult really

new wire, connectors or solder, shrink wrap, arm&hammer, water, toothbrush/ brass brush/ something to clean that @!#$ out, and i wrapped the hell out of everything afterwards to hopefully save the rest of the harness

Friday, February 02, 2007 12:21 PM
Well I managed to get time to check the connector, not a single spot of dirt or corrosion in it. Where does this ground wire attach? I tried to trace for the ground wire but it was too cold out so I just put everything back together.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 4:32 PM
Well, I changed the headlight switch, and rewired a relay that someone had hackjobbed before, and now my fog lights work again. But I still don't have a passenger side low beam headlight, everything else works great. This is getting old...

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:15 AM
Funny havin the same sort of prob with my '01 Sunfire. In cold temps both lights work in High and low, after 10 mins. of driving "POP", lows are as bright as the DLR's and the highs a little less than low beam.
In warm temps drivers side always sucks, and the passenger side acts same as cold temp. I'm thinking the/a relay might be acting up, as the harness looks OK. Any better thoughts out there?
Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:41 AM
Dang, must be a time limit for editting! Should have mentioned that my service light comes on right after the lights puke-out and sometimes briefly power up again (2-20 figgen times)

Thnx, Gord

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search