Ignition Frozen ????? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ignition Frozen ?????
Friday, January 12, 2007 3:42 PM
UGH ! OKAY.

So....the past couple winters, everyone once in a while, my key wont turn. But usually after a few minutes and a few tries it would turn and start the car.

As of 2 days ago, its been -30C (-45 with windchill), the key even started sticking while trying to turn off the car and get the key out.

Right now, I cant get the key turned to start it. Its sitting in the parking lot at my work and we've tried everything to get it to move. Lock de-icer, a heat gun, and now my key has been bent like 5-6 times from trying to turn it. It seems there is no chance its going to move.

Ive pretty much smashed apart my steering column cover so now it looks like someone tried to steal the car.

Im kinda iffy about getting it towed to a garage where its gonna sit and warm-up, and then possibly work again. And i know that the new ignition isnt cheap. I work at a NAPA and its $200 CDN staff pricing.

Do you people think that its a frozen ignition ? Would getting a new one stop this problem ? Im stuck without a car and i have no idea what to do.......a dealership will bend me over if i take it there to get fixed.

Re: Ignition Frozen ?????
Saturday, January 13, 2007 1:33 AM
Its time for a new ignition, I know its pricey, Some one tried to steal my friends cavalier, His ignition was hooped, He had his car towed to the dealer, So that the ignition could get installed, It was around $500 with taxes.
Saturday, January 13, 2007 5:08 AM
is the steering wheel locked? try moving the steering wheel back and forth while your turning the ignition key?? just a suggestion..

Monday, January 15, 2007 10:27 AM
hey buddy, coincidence I saw you at the bar on saturday. I have a spare ignition cylinder we could try if you want...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search