HELP! Sputtering Problem - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HELP! Sputtering Problem
Friday, January 12, 2007 9:59 PM
I got a 2000 Cavalier 2.2L, all stock besides cold air intake and exhaust. I've got a sputter/miss happening. Seems to always happen around 26-2900 RPM, especially when trying to cruise at a steady RPM in that range. It started happening last winter, seems to come and go with the weather. Before last winter is when I had the intake and exhaust installed. I've changed coils, plugs, wires, had it put on 3 different machines and the only code that comes up is a misfire, obviously. After having it checked out on numerous computers, last spring it seems like I simply filled up at Chevron, added a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner and it went away. Though I tried that this time to no resolve. So now I'm thinking, could it possibly be my intake or exhaust having a problem with the cold air? I live in Oregon, and it is especially cold right now! Please, anyone with advice please let me know, nobody can figure out what is wrong with it.

Re: HELP! Sputtering Problem
Friday, January 12, 2007 10:11 PM
How long has it been since you had youre Fuel filter changed?. Maybe you IAC motor on youre throttle body is carboned up, May need cleaning.
Friday, January 12, 2007 10:17 PM
By the way, car idles, starts, runs fine. No stalling, nothing. Just sputtering and lack of power when under the conditions previously listed. When it is really acting up, revving makes it sounds like a lawn mower. Everyone says spark plugs/wires. Not it. Like I said, I changed plugs and wires with 2 different kinds. No resolve. Anyway, thanks again for any tips and advice!
Friday, January 12, 2007 10:18 PM
Fuel filter was changed last winter at the first sign of the problem. No difference.
Friday, January 12, 2007 11:02 PM
Aside from thinking it may be the intake or exhaust, I've also read that the catalytic converter could be the problem?
Saturday, January 13, 2007 1:26 AM
Also Matt. Have you got youre Fuel pump pressure tested?, Could also have need to get youre fuel pressure regulator tested as well, Or youre fuel injectors could also need new O rings installed.
Saturday, January 13, 2007 12:26 PM
Thanks Rich. Whatever the problem is, cold weather seems to aggrivate it. Should I still pursue the fuel pressure and injecters?
Saturday, January 13, 2007 1:59 PM
With the fuel pump psi tested done and injectors cleaned just narrows down the trouble shooting,
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search