Swapping metal gas tank to newer plastic, question!? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Swapping metal gas tank to newer plastic, question!?
Friday, December 29, 2006 8:53 AM
My '97's tank is a bit rusty, so I figure why not swap to the plastic 2k+ and be done with it.

My huge question is will my '97 fuel pump swap in? I'm concerned about the sending unit being off due to the size difference, will it? I know by comparing them side-by-side it'll lock in, but I think depth may be the issue here. If it won't, is the 2k+ pump plug-and-play?

Another question, there are 2 90' elbows coming out near the fuel pump on the '97, and only 1 of those on the 2k+ tank. Any idea why?

Any help is appreciated!

Re: Swapping metal gas tank to newer plastic, question!?
Wednesday, January 10, 2007 9:04 PM
The pump will swap. It's got a springy part on the assembly, so it fits in different height tanks.

I don't think they'll swap... the EVAP is in different places between 97 and 00... which is why the number of hoses is different.

Friday, January 12, 2007 5:10 PM
I'm sure I could "T" both of them together, could I not? Seems like a small issue, and possibly even the pieces with the 90' elbows could be swapped, it seems they both looked similiar.

My other and main concern, will the sending unit on the '97 pump be thrown off, or does that work off of this springy part you speak of?

Thanks John.

Monday, January 22, 2007 10:45 AM
I used a 99 pump on a 2000 computer & wiring... worked fine for me. I don't know if the sender reads differently in previous years (pre-99) or not. You'll know if the T works when you get it out and see the lines... I've never pulled a 97 so I don't know where exactly the fuel evap lines go.

The springy part keeps the pump on the bottom of the tank. Nothing to worry about.

Monday, January 22, 2007 1:26 PM
do u already have the plastic tank Joe?

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search