Questions about replacing a starter - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Questions about replacing a starter
Wednesday, January 10, 2007 12:09 PM
I think my starter is going out, ever once in a while my cavalier with the ecotec will try to start when I turn the key and while trying to star, ill sound like the starter loss power or some thing and will stop, and then quickly ill restart and then the car starts but it seem like a weak start. It seem like i have to step on the gas to rev it a little to keep it goping and then its fine. This problem happens every once in a blue moon. Some ppl say its a starter when I tell them about but im not sure they would even know. The funny thing is, the problem only happen when no one is around. any sugestions? And if it is a starter, sould i get the factort starter or a aftermarket start?

Beware the Rouge Dragon.

Re: Questions about replacing a starter
Wednesday, January 10, 2007 1:44 PM
Probably have a bad battery.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, January 11, 2007 4:52 PM
So whats a good way to see if my batey still good, I got a red top batter in my car? And how can you tell if the starter is still good?

Beware the Rouge Dragon.

Friday, January 12, 2007 1:24 AM
First of all if you got a digital meter tester, It will tell you the correct volts reading in youre charging system, I believe a good battery will read 12.5, With the car running at idle should read 13-14.5 volts for charging anything under 13 volts youre charging system needs to be looked at. Most cases youre Battery may need to be recharged. Or youre alternator is weak. It sound to me youre battery is a little weak. Usually if youre starter is almost broke its gonna make a squeel sound on start up.

Good Luck.
Friday, January 12, 2007 1:34 AM
Take it to a shop somewhere or u can pull it out your self and take it to a napa or autozone they charge like 5 bucks to test it for ya. If you starter is messed up you will hear like a buzzing or whining noise coming from it.
Good Luck.
Friday, January 12, 2007 4:49 AM
Have you checked that the Negative Battery cable has a good contact to the chassis and engine block.

Disconnect the Negative then Positive battery connectors at the battery, then disconnect the ground points at the other end of the Negative cable and make sure they are "shiny clean". Then connect everything up in reverse order.

Alont
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search