Lost my decel timing and now with a high idle - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lost my decel timing and now with a high idle
Tuesday, January 09, 2007 12:44 PM
Well, as the title explains, I was stopped at a light and had to make an almost immediate right so i just left it in 1st gear and pulled up to about 3.5k-4k and then let off the pedal to decelerate/engine brake and pull into a driveway. Well when I let my foot off the gas pedal then engine didn't decel as usual and when I stopped I noticed the idle is now at 1500 rpms. So I then rev it up to about 4k while sitting in the driveway and the rpms cam down very slowly and dropped to 1500 and stayed.

Any ideas?, TPS or vac line?

Re: Lost my decel timing and now with a high idle
Tuesday, January 09, 2007 1:45 PM
Could be either one...

Do you have a check engine light? Chances are its a vac line. My MAP sensor vac line was so rotted that it split wide open and caused a high idle and high MAP signal CEL.

The easiest way to check is to get a Vac gauge from the auto store, hook it into the TPS line and watch what your vac is. If its low, then its a vac line, if its high, its probably a sensor.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 1:46 PM
BTW, I emailed you this morning about stuff you have in the classifieds...

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 7:53 AM
No CEL yet, I'll scan the car later today.for a pending code since I only drove it about 3miles since it first happened.
Wednesday, January 10, 2007 5:21 PM
OK, I scanned my car and no codes at all. I couldn't find any hose unplugged or split on the TB but when i disconnected the TPS the car went back to idle. I then plugged it back in and then tried to rev it and the car ran like crap. I then turned the car off and back on and the car started up and went right back up to the 1500rpm idle. I will be looking in my factory manual tonight but if anybody knows what going on any help would be nice.
Wednesday, January 10, 2007 5:48 PM
Sounds like a bad TPS. The TPS sensor is pretty cheap, pick up a new one.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search