poor mileage and p0172 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
poor mileage and p0172
Monday, January 08, 2007 8:06 PM
I've got a 2003 caviler(wifes) that has recently started throwing P0172 (sys 1 bank 1 too rich) and getting very poor milage. I originally set out to clean the MAF and clear the code only to get things apart and discover that cavilers don't run a MAF system. So i'm now kind of at a loss...

One potentially relevent piece of information...she put a tank of E80 in because she doesn't know any better...I know 1 tank shouldn't really hurt anything but...I know really don't know either...

Were is a good place to start diagnosing this problem?

I've searched around here and there doesn't seem to be anything that helps. Thanks in advance...

Re: poor mileage and p0172
Tuesday, January 09, 2007 12:28 AM
My guess would be youre O2 sensor needs to replaced,
Tuesday, January 09, 2007 2:29 PM
I would check plugs and wires, maybe coil pack.
Tuesday, January 09, 2007 2:45 PM
I had the same thing happen to me with my 02 Ecotec, except it was my mother not knowing better when she borrowed it up to MN. She drove it from MN back to Iowa and the check engine light came on also with some other warning lights. When I got the car back and found out what she had done there was only a 1/4 a tank of the E85 gas in the tank. We took it up to the gas station in my home town and they just cleared the code and told us to put straight unleaded into the gas tank with no Ethanol for the first few gas stops to lower the Ethanol concentration down. That was about 20,000 miles ago and no lights came back on since then.
The guy at the gas station says that just once is ok but too many times will damage the sensors and possibly more.
Later
Redrider02

"big boom big boom"-Adam Savage. "quack damn you"-Jamie Hyneman "mythbusters"
Tuesday, January 09, 2007 6:54 PM
cool. Thanks. Thats about were i've gotten too now. I've cleared the codes and obviously haven't put anymore E85 in there. The CEL hasn't come back and the mileage seems to be improving...
Tuesday, January 09, 2007 7:24 PM
I think the only thing I missed about the E85 gas was the sweet smell it made as it was fueling the car. lol.
Later
Redrider02

"big boom big boom"-Adam Savage. "quack damn you"-Jamie Hyneman "mythbusters"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search