still having problems with 0440 code - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
still having problems with 0440 code
Sunday, January 07, 2007 10:02 PM
This is what I have done so far:
1. Replaced the gas cap 3 times
2. Performed smoke test: No leaks found in system
3. Installed Fuel Tank Evaporator control: from previous 0440 problem resolved thread. BTW: the location in that thread was incorrect. This control was located up front behind the tire. The wheelwell shroud had to be unbolted.
3a. Found out that I had the wrong part (I had an '04 part but needed a '97 part). I drove for awhile without the part, and the light re-appeared only once. I passed my inspection w/o this part as well. Bought the correct part and installed it. No light for one week until yesterday.

So now I am still having this problem, and I am not sure what's left to replace. My system was tested and the mechanic didn't find a leak anywhere.

I need to know what else should I look for. I have only two hunches left:
1. It might be possible that I will have to have either the EVAP canister purge solenoid replaced, (this one is located under the intake manifold near the coils) or it may mean that I may actually need a new canister, but I don't know if any of these is what the problem is.
2. Could an incorrect spark plug gap possibly throw an emissions code? I had a misfire problem earlier last year, and the mechanic found that I needed plugs. He dropped new plugs into the engine without gapping them. He said that the plugs didn't require gapping, and in fact the car has run well since then. This code coincidently occured soon after the new plugs went in.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: still having problems with 0440 code
Sunday, January 07, 2007 11:23 PM
1. if you find the purge vave (the one on the backside of the engine) cheap enough (dont buy used obviously), then go for it. its possible that when the smoke test was performed, if the valve was stuck, it wouldnt have let the smoke out. regarding the light itself, i have the same problem. i clearit, sometimesit comes back in three minutes, sometimes three months.

2. plug gap may cause a misfire, but 0440 relates directly to the evaporative emissions system. the parts that it monitors include (from stern to stem): the gas cap, the gas fill neck, the gas tank, the gas tank pressure sensor, the vacuum lines running from the tank to the evap canister, the canister itself, the valve on the canister, the lines from the canister to the purge valve, the purge valve itself, and finally, the line from the purge valve to the intake manifold. if any one of these partsis fauty, it could trigger the 0440.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Re: still having problems with 0440 code
Monday, January 08, 2007 7:13 AM
Thanks for the reply. That is the problem that I am having. Its not really a problem more than it is a pest. The light went off this morning. During the last couple of months the light will only stay on one or two days, and then it will clear itself and not re-appear for several weeks.

I am going to keep watching it, and I will probably try the purge valve if the problem keeps occurring. The other mechanic in the garage didn't like the way my vacuum lines from the gas tank looked, as it had surface rust on it in places. One of these days I'll get to the bottom of this little bug. I don't want it to screw up my inspection; I did get lucky with the last one, and I won't have to worry about it until next Nov.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search