throttle body / throttle cable problem?? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
throttle body / throttle cable problem??
Thursday, January 04, 2007 9:41 PM
My 88 Z24 2.8MFI is acting a little weird, just looking for some suggestions.... Under acceleration, when i push the clutch to shift, the rpm's seem to stick for a few seconds before slowly starting to return to idle... many times it will again stop around 2 grand for a few seconds before again slowly returning to idle.... i also tried putting it in 5th gear while going about 45-50 and floored it.... when i let off the gas after a few seconds of flooring it, it seemed to still be under acceleration for a few seconds before i could feel the engine slow down... i did this again but this time put the clutch in after a few seconds of heavy acceleration in 5th, and when i pushed the clutch in, the rpms shot up a little bit again like something was sticking open.... a few suggestions i got were that the air intake system (cowl hood induction) forces the throttle plate to stay open... it never did this before so i disagreed with that.... any suggestions as to what the problem could be would be great... thanks in advance guys youre always helpful

Re: throttle body / throttle cable problem??
Friday, January 05, 2007 2:36 AM
Hows the throttle body area dirty or clean?. Could also have a sticky IAC sensor, Little carb cleaner will clean it up, Also could be a vaccum leak in a hose, Or youre TPS sensor could be getting weak as well.
Friday, January 05, 2007 8:43 AM
pull the intake tube off and clean your throttle body and also clean the iac sensor like stated above. that should help.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Sunday, January 07, 2007 7:23 PM
quick question... i also just noticed that sometimes the rpms will sometimes drop to normal idle when i put the clutch in or put it in neutal, and it will go down to normal idle, then shoot up a little bit again to like 2 grand or 1500, then slowly go down again... could that mean its a sensor instead of a TB cleaning problem? and if so, what sensor should i suspect first?? thanks
Tuesday, January 09, 2007 8:39 PM
Just to make it easy in the case u do not know how to verify the tps is going bad.Check out this site http://www.wellsmfg.corp.com go to diagnostics volume 2 issue 1, this shows u how to check ur voltage with a multimeter to ensure the tps is working properly meaning when u jump it with a wire the meter should show the voltage go up gradually and not erratic or fast which in turn would indicate a faulty tps sensor.The codes it would show will be 21 or 22,if after cleaning the tbi the problem persist check the ecm for any hard codes and if these show up,I would replace the part after verifying with a multimeter it is history.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search