several questions - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
several questions
Sunday, January 07, 2007 8:58 AM
Hey guys, newbie here to get some help on my sister's 2000 Cavalier 2.2L (auto)... Im not new to cars, but a lot of GM stuff confuses the hell out of me...Im a Honda guy.

Anyways, heres whats going on:

1) Occasionally, the car will not crank, but it gets power to electrical (lights, blower, radio) - battery voltage is fine.
She took it to a "starter shop" and they apparently said it was fine (whether they actually checked it, I dont know).
Im thinking starter failure...
Is this common? If not, I'll just grab a starter from a junk yard (which GM starters are compatible?).

2) After starting and putting into gear, the headlights (and corresponding relay behind the dash) quickly flash, several times (maybe its the drl's?).
Why...?

3) Is there any way to check the service light without a scan-tool??
(ie - Chrysler has the igniton key thing, Honda has a service jumper, etc...)

Whats bad, is I am never around to actually see these things happen - its all relayed to me, from her....so unfortunately, this is probably the best info I can give...
Hopefully someone can help.

Re: several questions
Sunday, January 07, 2007 1:20 PM
1. i dont know

2. means you have a bad headligt bulb

3. no

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Sunday, January 07, 2007 2:02 PM
My guess:
1) See if the selector lever of the transmission is somehow loose so it won´t detect when it is in P or N sometimes so it will not crank...
2)Check the bulbs and the alarm if you have one.
3)No, but you can reset the comp.and hope the lights won´t come back.
Sunday, January 07, 2007 7:38 PM
To add to the other postings, check the ignition recall. If this has been done it introduces and extra relay in the Ignition crank to Starter solenoid. This added relay can sometimes cause problems.

The recall is to check the wiring and the Ignition switch for overheating---could be the cause of sometimes not cranking.

The wiring AND the ignition switch will be replaced free of charge----- if it is necessary.

http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/67-int/2000/chevrolet/cavalier/base/index.html

Alont
Sunday, January 07, 2007 8:07 PM
The lights flash when a bulb is bad? How is that right? They all work - drl's and headlights (just checked).
No alarm (pff not even pwr locks)

Recal on the ignition has been performed, I do know that. I guess I'll have to check the relay too...
Tuesday, January 09, 2007 5:13 PM
both sets of drl's and headlights still working...other suggestions??
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search