Need Help ASAP (Emissions) - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need Help ASAP (Emissions)
Saturday, January 06, 2007 3:04 PM
So I wrecked the car back in Sept 06'. Bent the subframe and partially bent the rad support and also overheated the engine due to a hole in the radiator.

We rebuilt the engine and it's been running better than it was before and a tad stronger with a new P&P'ed head. Water temp stays at norm and no codes are being thrown! It's been like this for about 2 weeks now. The cars down time has been about 2mnths due to heavy work + no time to work on her. I also replaced the battery about 100-200miles ago but those 100+ miles have been since it's been rebuilt and just working the bubble out of the coolant lines.

I take her into Emissions since she's finally back up and twice, the EVAP and Catalyst could not complete on the initial scan. When I say initial scan I mean right when he plugs up his cord into the OBDII port under the dash and his computer system reads if the car is ready to be scanned.

A list pops up with random systems that it checks on the car and they all read complete except for EVAP and Catalyst. He said since the car has been down so long and it's a new battery I need to put some miles on it (about 60-100). I do this and some and it comes back reading the same. He did the entire test on the car and it failed b only one thing...OBD Readiness? He couldn't give me any answers besides to put more miles on it.....

Anyone have any suggestions or remedies? Thanks in advance!

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Re: Need Help ASAP (Emissions)
Saturday, January 06, 2007 4:26 PM
keep driving it. i have an 0440 code,and sometimes when i reset it, it comes back in three minutes, sometimes in three months.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, January 06, 2007 5:58 PM
ewww @ 3mnths WIll keep driving! Planning on putting about 200miles on it tomorrow!

Sunday, January 07, 2007 1:58 PM
I know FORD has a drive cycle code (p1000). It makes you idle the car for 20 min, drive at 35 mph for 20 min, then at 65 for 20 min. Giant pain in the ass. i dont think the chevy would be anything like that. I would just drive it for a bit, and see what happens.
Sunday, January 07, 2007 6:26 PM
Sounds like the car's battery got so low that the monitor's erased. To reset the catayst monitor you need to drive for 15mi's at 50mph - 55mph at 45% throttle. that will reset the catayst. The evap will be a little harder. You need to run the car's evap system through a "Cold Soak Period". With a fully charged battery, you need to fill the gas tank to three quarters and let it sit for at lest eight hours. After the eight hour period drive the car under the conditions for the catalyst reset and it will purge.

ASE Certified Techician
DaimlerChrysler Certified Techician
Va Safety Inspector
Member Of TECHNET Professionals
Member Option D Racing
Monday, January 08, 2007 10:14 AM
Thanks for that info! I got some of the same info from a friend I trust so I definately believe it now!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search