Headlights stopped working - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Headlights stopped working
Friday, January 05, 2007 11:25 AM
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a problem.

I just noticed my headlights no longer function. Foglights, corner lights and high beams work fine, but the low beam lights do not work at all. I've checked the fuses and the bulbs, and that isnt the problem. Any idea what would cause this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Headlights stopped working
Friday, January 05, 2007 12:51 PM
Are you getting DRL light blinking?. Are the headlight bulbs new?. Could have a wiring issue, I would start with the headlight bulbs replaced first.
Friday, January 05, 2007 12:54 PM
The light used to blink for a few days before this happened. When it stopped blinking, so did the lights. The bulbs are new since I just changed them. Could it be some sort of relay thats gone bad?
Friday, January 05, 2007 1:02 PM
headlight switch..

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Friday, January 05, 2007 3:20 PM
Headlight switch? Where is that located? How do I changed it?
Friday, January 05, 2007 8:49 PM
its the lever on the left side of the steering column

The cover needs removed and its held in by a couple torx screws

Saturday, January 06, 2007 5:07 AM
Does that mean the steering wheel needs to be removed? It's a 98 Z24 if that helps. If so, how easy is something like this. I'd hate to pop an airbag or something.

Thanks inn advance
Saturday, January 06, 2007 4:49 PM
Most dealerships will say yeah, the steering wheel needs removed.... but ive done dozens of these things without ever removing the steering wheel. Its the lower torx screw on the switch that can be a pain to get off without removing the wheel, but it can be done. Its definitely easier and less time consuming than removing the wheel in the first place.

Sunday, January 07, 2007 1:39 PM
I just replaced this in my '97 sunfire. It took 20 minutes, and i swear to you, the hardest part was getting the bottom column cover half off over the column adjustment lever. The switch itself was a breeze to swap out.
Tuesday, January 09, 2007 8:27 AM
Eddie Kilgore wrote:I just replaced this in my '97 sunfire. It took 20 minutes, and i swear to you, the hardest part was getting the bottom column cover half off over the column adjustment lever. The switch itself was a breeze to swap out.

you do realize that lever screws right out of there right?

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 10:53 PM
my drl lights are blinking too.. but im also getting a .05 draw on the cluster fuse. and whenever my car is idle at night the lights on the dash and hvac's start to flicker. but this might be the place to start looking. any suggestions?

Friday, January 12, 2007 5:43 AM
Meckster wrote:
Eddie Kilgore wrote:I just replaced this in my '97 sunfire. It took 20 minutes, and i swear to you, the hardest part was getting the bottom column cover half off over the column adjustment lever. The switch itself was a breeze to swap out.

you do realize that lever screws right out of there right?

True, but I've found that there's usually some lock-tite on the threads which makes it a real bitch to get the lever off without chewing it all up. Mine's a little scratched

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines." -- Steven Wright
Wednesday, January 17, 2007 5:11 AM
I've been reading some posts about some sort of connector under the battery that seems to be a common issue. Could that also cause this problem. I was thinking to give this a try first, and hopefully save the $150 the dealership wants for the switch in the sterring column.
Sunday, February 04, 2007 2:01 PM
I had just DRL's flashing, the passenger side was flashing and driver's side was out plus icon was flashing on dashboard and clicking noise from dashboard everytime it blinked also. Too cold and dark soon so I took it to a dealer and they tested relay, fuses and bulbs all ok, trace and locate and repair left headlamp harness splices corroded by road salt. It's all ok now.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search