revving then dying Problem - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
revving then dying Problem
Thursday, January 04, 2007 10:42 AM
When I rev my 2000 Sunfire GT really high when im in nutral and let off the gas and let the rpm just drop the car sometimes will die outher times the needle on the rpm will just go lower then normal idle rmp and shake or sputter for a sec then it will go back up to normal idle rpm, does anyone know what it can be?

Re: revving then dying Problem
Thursday, January 04, 2007 2:01 PM
i was having a similiar problem scan code read "idle rpms" so i would check your iac if thats good start tracing the problem;plugs,boots,tps,etc;etc;

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Thursday, January 04, 2007 2:32 PM
My car is not givving me any codes at all, no check engine light or anything it only does it if im stoped if im mooving a can rev it to red line and it will be fine, its been doing this since i got it, i replaced the spark plugs with the oem ac delco platinum tips and they were gaped properly also replaced the fuel filter cleaned the throtle body cleaned the iac used stp fuel system cleaner i have a rk sport warm air intake, it did this before and after intake was installed
Thursday, January 04, 2007 2:33 PM
what was the problem with yours?
Thursday, January 04, 2007 6:34 PM
multiple things,did you check your O2 sensor?Mine was the main cause of the problem,on my 98 cav 2.4 the iac is supposed to be 1.01 in. extended the pintle i mean i think thats what it is called so id check your O2 sensor before and after the cat and i also have a wai from the t.b. do you have your iat sensor in the wai?

Thursday, January 04, 2007 7:04 PM
yes i have the iat in the warm air intake
Thursday, January 04, 2007 9:03 PM
sorry dumb question its hard to say if your not throwing codes my main prob was my rpms were dropping down when i let off the gas ,down to 1000 then it would jump from 1 to 1500 for a few seconds until i slowed down enough for that rpm range but def. check the O2 sensor before the cat ,it will affect air /fuel ratio

Thursday, January 04, 2007 10:18 PM
thanks for your help man, yeah are problems are a bit different with my car it only wants to die if i stop at a light and rev it up to redline and just let go of the gas and let the needle drop it will drip below normal and shake a bit and my lights will dim then it will go back to normal, if i go a bit past redline it will go nown and die then i will have to start it again and all is fine, but if i do this while moving it doesnt do it, if i just drive it normally and dont rev it so high it doesnt do it my idle is perfect and the car always runs good, it seems like it hates being reved to high if i rev it up to 4 grand and let go it doesnt do it, just when i really lase into her, it never throws codes on me, if a sensor was bad wouldent it throw codes? is it possible that its the rev limiter?
Thursday, January 04, 2007 10:24 PM
seems like you shouldnt go to the rev limiter, its designed to cut fuel, so when you let off the computer cant give it fuel fast enough is what im thinking.

Thursday, January 04, 2007 11:44 PM
Its a possibility im not sure
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search