Manually raising power windows. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Manually raising power windows.
Tuesday, January 02, 2007 1:06 PM
I was driving today and I needed to lower down my window and now it wont go back up. I have a 1995 z24 cavalier with power windows. I am wondering if there is any way to manually raise the window until I get money to fix it. Any help will be grateful.

Re: Manually raising power windows.
Tuesday, January 02, 2007 3:56 PM
it will go down...? Your switch might be bad..... To raise it you have to reverse the polarity on the motor. Hope this helps.
Thursday, January 04, 2007 9:05 AM
pull the door panel off.. unplug the window motor, get a battery and attach a wire to each terminal then stiuck them in where the plug was plugged in
Thursday, January 04, 2007 2:38 PM
It is not an expensive fix, the motors are 28$ at NuWay auto if you have them. Kinda a pain but can be done within an hour.

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
2.3-2.4 HO ADAPTER FLANGES 65$ shipped, Check GP Forum!
Thursday, January 04, 2007 4:09 PM
jesse torrez wrote:I was driving today and I needed to lower down my window and now it wont go back up. I have a 1995 z24 cavalier with power windows. I am wondering if there is any way to manually raise the window until I get money to fix it. Any help will be grateful.

Mine did that couple months ago. The motor is about dead. The way I got it up was to pull up on the window while I was holding on to the switch. As for replacing it, it was a pain in the ass b/c I never done it b4. Once you do it the first time, you'll figure out how to get the rivets out. I used a drill and that took a long time. People say use a grinder and you'll be finish in no time. Drilling it took about 4 hours.
Sunday, January 07, 2007 2:08 PM
Quote:

Mine did that couple months ago. The motor is about dead. The way I got it up was to pull up on the window while I was holding on to the switch. As for replacing it, it was a pain in the ass b/c I never done it b4. Once you do it the first time, you'll figure out how to get the rivets out. I used a drill and that took a long time. People say use a grinder and you'll be finish in no time. Drilling it took about 4 hours.

yup. hold the switch, have a buddy pull on the window. man, if we all had three arms, we wouldnt need a buddy to work on cars!
Sunday, January 07, 2007 3:34 PM
mine is doing that now, the passenger side is the worst if you roll it all the way down it will jam and when it goes up it will stop halfway up then a little more then a little more and finally all the way up. I'm thinking either the regulator or the motor itself i'm not very good with these sorts of things but to have it done i was estimating a really expensive fix considering whoever does it has to take the entire door apart practically to get to the motor. Btw i have an 04 Ls sedan 2.2 eco 4 speed auto
Sunday, January 07, 2007 4:36 PM
hey niteowl my 02 ls sport did the same exact thing, then just decided to stay about 1/2 way down, turns out the motor died, replaced it and all is good

Monday, January 08, 2007 4:49 PM
Yellow any ideas about how much something like that would cost, are there places that specialize in that sort of thing because if i take it to a dealer i figure i'm looking at probably $500 or more. Plus they said i would have to leave the car overnight that it was not something that could be done in an hour or 2 which really pi$$ed me off. Because i want to get it fixed but not have to spend half my life savings doing it, the cars not worth that much.
Tuesday, January 09, 2007 3:17 PM
id do them both in an hour for 500.00
lol its not that hard at all take off the panel and drill out the rivets with a decent bit.. pop the old one out and new one in.. its one plug and about 4-5 screws
Tuesday, January 09, 2007 5:34 PM
i want the quick fix, not the expensive $500 fix hell the cars not even worth that much.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 7:58 AM
Some auto glass shops do that work fairly resonable. I had a couple of windshields replaced last year and they were replacing the motors on a cavi. I think the shop guy said it was about $100. I did my own, but i was surprised they did that. But thinking about replacing glass, they would have to do that.....
They did one side in about an hour, and they weren't that busy.
Don
Wednesday, January 10, 2007 8:09 AM
if you are technically inclined you can replace the motor (it can be tricky)
they are around $30-40 at your local auto parts store
you must have a grinder or a drill to get the rivets out (grinder is 100x easier)

IF you don't replace it yourself the dealer will rape you $300+

a shop would probably do it for cheaper, but thats my .02

I had the dealer replace my rear drivers side window motor and they raped me...i didn't do it myself because i had zer0 time...then my drivers side window stopped...and i replaced it..not too shabby

now the passenger side windows are getting slower.... i have read that 2002 window motors suck donkey nuts

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 9:48 AM
had this happen to me it ended up being the switch i blasted it out with air and sprayed in some contact cleaner, fixed it right up.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 6:08 PM
i may have to look into having a glass/windshield repair shop do it i had no idea any of them specialized in that kind of stuff either. If mine was just the switch i could probably spray something in there and try and clean it up but being as mine are in the middle of the car on the console it might gum the whole thing up.
Friday, January 12, 2007 5:14 PM
Talked to a guy at a body shop this morning, he thinks it may just be a loose connection somewhere said he wasn't even going to charge me for it i may run it down in the morning hopefully it isn't the regulator or the motor itsel.
Friday, January 12, 2007 5:21 PM
the end of that my last post got cut off lol, i figure if it;s the motor or the regulator it's a simple matter of going to the parts department at the local chevy place and buying a motor.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search