Replacing Ignition Cylinder Lock in '00 SF - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Replacing Ignition Cylinder Lock in '00 SF
Wednesday, January 03, 2007 2:46 PM
I'm pretty sure I have to replace it, and there are a few for sale on eBay. Is it a relatively simple swap? If anyone has done this before please let me know if there are any secrets I should know before starting or it if is just simple nuts and bolts. Thanks a lot.

Re: Replacing Ignition Cylinder Lock in '00 SF
Wednesday, January 03, 2007 7:51 PM
its kind of hard to explain but ill try.

remove the steering column cover, 3 or 4 bolts in the bottom.
then remove the combination switch wiper and signal arm assemblys.
the ignition assembly should be exposed, look on the side of the assembly (side facing dash) there will be what looks like a pin/tab sticking out, about 1/2 inch long.

now turn the key in the "on" position, push the pin/tab in with a screwdriver, and the ignition cylinder should slide out.
there is a 5? pin connector that connects to the steering column, unplug that.

reverse steps to install.

if you have any questions let me know.

im pretty sure you don't need to remove the steering wheel, but that will make it easier to work on the ignition.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Wednesday, January 03, 2007 7:56 PM
i forgot to add, im not sure if this will affect the theft lock, but im sure someone will post the answer.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 10:54 PM
wow thanks a lot. Sounds like I should be able to do it. Will it be a problem if I can't turn the key? Im replacing it because the key won't turn to the on position. I just wonder if I can push that 1/2 inch pin in if I can't turn the cylinder.
Wednesday, January 03, 2007 11:52 PM
the key must be turned to allow the pin to unlock. its a theft feature to prevent someone from swapping the ignition and driving off with your car.
you could try jamming a screwdriver in the ignition and turning it until it breaks, but im not sure if that will work.

the only suggestion i can offer would be to replace the entire steering column with one from a wrecking yard(usually about $75) its not too hard and if you don't have tilt or intermediate wipers you can get a column with them.

Thursday, January 04, 2007 12:00 PM
Can I cut this pin/tab off with a saw or something? I really don't want to have to replace the whole column I'd probably just end up taking it in. Thanks.
Saturday, January 06, 2007 8:31 AM
I just had to do this recently, I'll see if I can find the pics it'll make it a bit easier to understand...the tab is inside the 'steering column assembly' so you wont be able to cut it off.
Saturday, January 06, 2007 8:35 AM
^^^ just checked and I dont have the pics, sorry dude. I have a spare ignition cylinder I will take a picture of when I get home, so you get the idea of where the tab is. Could sell you it cheaper than what you'd find on ebay too...
Saturday, January 06, 2007 9:45 AM
Thanks a lot. But how would I get the old one out to put the new one in if i can't turn the key? I would happily buy yours if I could get mine out, but the guy above said that I can only slide my ignition cylinder out by turning the key to "on", which I can't do. What would you suggest?
Monday, January 08, 2007 9:53 AM
anyone have a suggestion?
Monday, January 08, 2007 10:23 AM
can i use a screwdriver or something to get the cylinder to turn so I can get it out?

Monday, January 08, 2007 12:59 PM
I dont think this is harmful, but try spraying some WD40 in the key cylinder, one of the tumblers could be stuck. Is yours an auto or 5spd?
Tuesday, January 09, 2007 5:09 PM
Alright, here's pics of the ignition cylinder. First pic shows the cylinder with the tab sticking out. Keep in mind this assembly is inside the 'steering column' for a lack of better words. The 'tab' is the dark piece on the right, and that thin metal piece is what holds the tab 'up'

2nd pic is with the tab depressed, you can see the thin metal piece bend downwards.

again, this is all inside, the only thing you can see is the dark 'tab', and even then just the top of it, as it sits flush with the steering column assembly. You'll need a small screwdriver or something long/thin as fingers dont work.

Hopefully you eventually get it to turn.
Wednesday, January 10, 2007 12:58 AM
i paid 100+ for a new ignition the same thing happened to me.. it wouldnt go on all the way.. it wouldnt crank

took it to a lock smith he popped it apart fixed it in under 5min.. i just gave him like 10bucks and took the other one back and got my llike 160.00 back from dealer
Saturday, March 29, 2008 9:33 AM
Bringing it back from the dead!

My ignition locked up on me a couple of days ago so I went and bought a new one. I'm planning on installing it tomorrow afternoon and all I need to know is how to fix the theftlock... I'm thinking I put the the key in the new igition, turn the accessory power on and let the car sit for 20 minutes or so?

Any info is appreciated, thanks
Saturday, March 29, 2008 6:42 PM
Anybody have anything?
Saturday, March 29, 2008 7:24 PM
Yup... Passlock relearn technique is in the FAQ.

If you don't have the key, or it won't turn... you can drill out the tab and pull the cylinder out.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 8:00 PM
oh... christ I didn't even think to check there. Rookie mistake thanks brother!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search