2001 Cavalier Headlight Problems - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2001 Cavalier Headlight Problems
Wednesday, January 03, 2007 8:01 PM
Hey all....

I got a 01 that I got about a year ago. When I bought it from the GM dealer I had problems with the lights. Last March (when I bought it) I took it in and they had to replace the front wiring harness due to corrosion. No charge because it was still under warranty.

Now one of the lights is only receiving enough power to light the bulb a dull yellow. Other light works fine. Also, after you turn the headlights on the service light pops on.

Anyone know if this could be another deal with the harness again? Maybe its just a loose ground or the DLR module????.. Anyone had experience with this problem? Any help would save time. Oh, I changed the bulb already. Still didn’t help..

Thanks ahead of time! :-

Re: 2001 Cavalier Headlight Problems
Thursday, January 04, 2007 2:18 AM
Sounds to me youre headlight bulb is getting weak. When my headlight burnt out, My Service light came on, when low beam burnt out. Changed the bulbs works great now.
Thursday, January 04, 2007 9:58 AM
Sounds like a short in in they headlight system, or one of the ground connections is not making a clean contact, probably still have some corrosion. I'd have them double check their work, but if not under warranty you will have to go through each connection. Yes it will be time consuming.
Thursday, January 04, 2007 10:03 AM
To michaelj1967,

Yep its outta warranty.. Thats why I asked... was kinda hoping someone else had this exact problem and could tell me which wire is bad.

I think though, I'll be spending a few hours with the multimeter on this problem.

Thanks bud..

Monday, January 08, 2007 11:17 AM
I am having this exact problem... I have replaced the bulbs, it is only on the drivers side.

It just stays very dull (yelow/brown light), then when I put on the brights the service light on the dash lights up.

I have replaced the whole headlight assembly also, I am stumped!!!
Monday, January 08, 2007 11:43 AM
Wire Spider:

Passenger side light? My guess is the orange wire.

If it is the passenger side light, then try jumping the orange wire to +12V and see what happens.

Let me know if you would like me to send you the wiring diagram.

Good Luck
Monday, January 08, 2007 1:37 PM
Thanks Socksrocker for the heads up!

I'll let you know if it is the orange wire or if I need a schematic.

This board rules....Hands down the most helpful cavalier forum on the net!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search