spark plug breaking - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
spark plug breaking
Saturday, December 30, 2006 8:30 AM
Im wondering what would cause this, or if it could cause any engine problems due to parts parts falling in somehow. Well basically yesterday I went to pick my girlfriend up from work, and right when I was pulling in I heard a popping noise like I lost an o2 sensor or something. I look everything over with the engine off, and dont find anything then i start the engine, look in the engine bay and see the plug boot moving in and out. Well I later find out after I remove the plug that the part in the center freely moves in and out of the bolt part for about .75 to 1 inch. (Sorry dont know the specific names of plug parts, and it is difficult to explain). Everyone I talked to has never seen it, closest I ever heard was the plug shooting out of engine, which I think mine was close. The guy at advance just said he wasn't going to use those plugs anymore. The plugs were champion platinum or something. I replaced them with acdelco. As I said, I was just wondering what would cause this and if there would be any chance of a part of the plug falling into engine and causing any problems...

Thanks

Re: spark plug breaking
Saturday, December 30, 2006 10:36 AM
"what would cause this and if there would be any chance of a part of the plug falling into engine and causing any problems..."

I've had two instances, both with Autolite plugs. The ceramic
insulator around the center electrode inside the combustion
chamber did break off and caused damage to the cylinder head valve seat in the first instance. Valve job and replacement of
damaged valve to fix.

In the second case there was no breaking-off, just the spark
plug boots dancing around because metal and ceramic bonding
was lost. Replaced spark plugs to fix.

I know that it's not widely discussed, but defective spark plugs
are common. The most guilty brand, I believe, is Autolite.
Tuesday, January 02, 2007 8:35 PM
Ok, so it happened again today, different plug though, and the second instance this time, the bonding seemed to be lost. I did notice my check engine light is on and my temp gauge moves around more than it should once in a while. Also there seems to be a small leak in the valve cover gasket, which has been there for a while, and the exhaust has a strong fuel smell. The engine light, temp gauge, and strong smell are just recent. I know you said it is common, but 2 plugs breaking in 3-4 days seems too much, though I could be wrong. Could any of these other things I described have anything to do with it? Possibly the leak getting down into the spark, or the computer not adjusting something right? Sorry if I sound dumb, but this is kinda new to me.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 8:57 PM
Is it possible that a cylinder could be hitting the plug?

The strong smell is probably the rich mixture of gas thats not getting burned by your broken cylinder..

I would find out what codes your PCM is throwing and go from there. Sounds like a multitude of problems.

------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 9:35 PM
Pre-ignition is also a possibility. This is usually caused by ignition timing
too far advanced or by heat spots from overheating the combustion chamber.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search