ecotec oil pressure gauge - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ecotec oil pressure gauge
Thursday, December 28, 2006 1:27 PM
ok so i posted this already in the electronics forus and go no responce..thought it might be the right one cause its kind of a wiring question but didn't get one responce so i guess i'll try it here i'm getting ready to start my winter projects one is some gauges...looking for some help hooking up the sending unit for my oil pressure gauge...got an ecotec from an 03 in my car someone told me its kind of a pain to hook up the sending unit but the guy wouldn't go into detail...can anyone elaborate on this for me if its true...thanks

Visit me on Cardomain

Re: ecotec oil pressure gauge
Friday, December 29, 2006 2:59 AM
c'mon anyone?

Visit me on Cardomain
Friday, December 29, 2006 8:25 AM
You have the ground wire, find a good ground. You have a wire for the gauge to light up at night. Splice that into the dimmer switch wire.
The wire for the gauge you simply splice into the sending unit wire, it is a one wire sensor.

Simple hook up, where you located at, I'll do it for you even.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Friday, December 29, 2006 9:24 PM
i know power and ground i had this gauge hooked up to my old motor but wad told it was different on an ecotec...where is the sending unit at on the ecotec?

Visit me on Cardomain
Saturday, December 30, 2006 6:38 AM
The sending unit is located on the front of the engine just below the oil filter assembly. An aftermarket gauge cannot just be "spliced" into the existing sensor on the Ecotec. The sensor is actually a switch, which when closed indicates low oil pressure and when open indicates normal pressure. A gauge sensor is, in effect, a variable resistor which varies depending on the actual pressure. To hook up a gauge in addition to the current sensor, you would need to remove the existing sensor and attempt to pipe in a "tee" connection. Or you could just delete the existing sensor and install your sensor in its place, assuming your sensor could be "fitted" into the existing sensor hole (thread/pipe size considerations, of course).

Saturday, December 30, 2006 7:53 AM
ok that was a little more helpful lol thanks man

Visit me on Cardomain
Monday, January 01, 2007 10:51 AM
has anyone on here actually done this to the ecotec...cause all i did on my last motor was just take the old sensor out and get a fitting the same size as the hole and thread that in then threaded in the sending unit that came with the gauge and then ran the wires...also going to be putting in an oil temp sensor so if i take out the stock sensor all together and pipe in a "T" then hook up both gauges, this in theory should work...correct?

Visit me on Cardomain
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:06 PM
I installed the pressure gauge. How do I turn off the check oil light?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search