***Please Help*** Theftlock Problem - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
***Please Help*** Theftlock Problem
Friday, December 29, 2006 6:44 PM
ok heres the story....

The ignition that is in my 96 4dr sunfire is a pain to use. The lock or something in it is messed up and it is hard to turn forward. So I picked up another one from a 96 4dr cavalier.

Car always starts great. I change the ignition, start it up 1second later it die's. Then all it will do after it turn over. Also the Theft light starts to blink. The only way to stop the blinking I found was to disconnect the battery or unplug the cluster. When I say "only way to stop it", I mean I am only waiting about a minute or so.

So I put the old ignition back in, still the same thing. Starts, Dies, then only turns over.

Now the car is sitting in my friends shop, I have to get it out tomorrow (Saturday). I just found this theftlock reprogram now and when I go up to my friends tomorrow (which is about 40min's away) and he does not have a computer to ask more questions when I am close buy to the car.

Can anyone give me a good guess that this will work for me? or anything else to try?

Now if it does work with the old ignition, could it reprogram the car for the new one?

Quote:

8. Cluster swaps?
I'm not very well-versed on this subject either, but I'm gonna do my best with the information that I've found in a quick search.

First things first, 99- have a theftlock issue. Instructions here are courtesy of KickAzz98z:

KickAzz98Z wrote:

Seriously, this is the way to get around it, the theftlock must be reprogrammed, and this is how:
1. Start the car and let it die. The theftlock light will be on, DO NOT TURN THE KEY OFF, OR OPEN ANY DOORS, OR TURN ON ANY ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT. Just fold your hands under your arms and wait 10-15 minutes...
2. After the car stalls, the theftlock light will blink. wait until it stops blinking.
3. Wait 1 minute after it stops blinking.
4. Turn the key to off, wait 10 seconds, then start the car again.
You may have to do this 3 times for it to work correctly.

2000+ clusters cannot be swapped with 1999- clusters (this is due to the BCM).
You can switch through 96-98 if they are mechanical, and 98-99 if they are digital. Apparently these are plug and play, but sometimes you have to find a cluster from the same year as your car to work properly (this is a quote from a previous post).

Re: ***Please Help*** Theftlock Problem
Friday, December 29, 2006 7:16 PM
i had the same problem and im not real good with this technical stuff but a guy came to my shop and hooked a realy expensive scanner up to mine and fixed it but i wasnt swapping over ignition mine just got a mind of its own and started messing up but he reset it
Friday, December 29, 2006 7:24 PM
Well thats not what I wanted to hear.

Thanks, I have left a message for another friend of mine that works at a GM dealership to see what he has to say. I only hope that he can borrow the Tech2 if it comes down to that. Because the car is not on the road right now and where I park the car is downhill from the shop I work in. So I need to get it running.

Friday, December 29, 2006 9:41 PM
yea i understand im kind of in the same place you are im lost with mine right now i just made a post go see what you think its called somthing like codes on pcm
Saturday, December 30, 2006 3:05 PM
I have never seen any of those codes before. Sorry.

Well I did the Theftlock Reprogram and it worked. Thank God for the JBO Search Button

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search