Possible to fit a Walbro 255 fuel pump on 03 Cav? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Possible to fit a Walbro 255 fuel pump on 03 Cav?
Tuesday, December 26, 2006 7:43 AM
My fuel pump went - again, and now I'm pissed. I have been told that I could fit a walbro 255 with some very minor modification instead of the fuel pump. Two questions:

1) my car is completely stock. Will I get idle problem or will I use up much more fuel? I'm not getting this pump for added performance, just for added reliability and because it's so much cheaper than the OEM piece of @!#$.

2) What kind of fitting is involved?

Thanks!

Re: Possible to fit a Walbro 255 fuel pump on 03 Cav?
Tuesday, December 26, 2006 10:17 PM
Ive been a few people with aftermarket electric pumps simalar as Walbro 255 fuel pump, They are have the price of a stocker pump, No sure if any problems occur down the road, My one friend has it in his 97 GM pickup 350 V8, Its been working great for 2 yrs. I would make sure you get the correct spec's for youre car.

Good Luck

keep us updated.
Wednesday, December 27, 2006 5:46 PM
Before you start worrying about uprgrading fuel pumps you should worry about why your car is toasting them in the first place. Definitly something going on is NOT normal.

------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 7:24 PM
Bad FPR maybe?

"The Blue Bullet"
Wednesday, December 27, 2006 9:19 PM
Logan wrote:Bad FPR maybe?

I doubt it.

------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 11:32 PM
Well common things why fuel pumps die, Running out of fuel with alot of cranking or improper maintance of fuel filter, And injectors, And also abuse. Ive heard of electric fuel pumps lasting for quite awhile.
Thursday, December 28, 2006 3:24 AM
The first pump lasted 110K km. I take great care of my car in general, I do not abuse it whatsoever, and always did regular maintenance, except that I never changed the fuel filter before the first pump went, so I'm ready to be taken responsible for that failure. I was out of money and out of town when it happened, so they installed a used one with SUPPOSEDLY ( cough f*ckers ) 19,000km on it, and it just went again.

Now I am getting a brand new OEM one installed, and hope that it will last until next summer when I'll get rid of the gar for something else!

Are there any tips that could help the pump's lifespan?

Cheers,

G
Thursday, December 28, 2006 4:55 AM
cavmania wrote:
Logan wrote:Bad FPR maybe?

I doubt it.

No? I've heard of more than one (but not many more) that had a FPR stuck closed making the fuel line pressure really high all the time. This puts excess strain on the pump making their lifespan rather short.

"The Blue Bullet"
Thursday, December 28, 2006 11:39 AM
Like I say GBro, I am saying their is no promise on how long the pump will last. A regular maintance every 2 months use some injector cleaner with a full tank of gas, Make sure youre fuel filter is replaced on a regular time maintance of miles or kms, And yearly or 6 months you could also make sure youre fuel pressure is tested. Otherwise thats all to you can do, Parts wearout on suprise.

Good Luck.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search