96 cav z-24 dies unexpectedly - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
96 cav z-24 dies unexpectedly
Tuesday, December 26, 2006 10:28 AM
I didn't personally drive the car when it happened so I'm trying to figure this one out. Died unexpectedly on the road. Attempts to turn over, almost catches but doesn't. On the instrument panel 3 lights are on, Battery light (already had replaced the alternator once before) Oil light & the Theft light.
Checked the oil while I was there, looks to be low but the car was on a bridge so hard to determine. I don't have the owner's manual with me so any help in finding out what could be the problem would be very helpful.
I do know that I had almost a similar situation happen with me that some sensor went out that caused the fuel cut off switch to engage but I am probably just grasping at straws.
Thanks

Re: 96 cav z-24 dies unexpectedly
Tuesday, December 26, 2006 11:21 AM
Do you hear the buzzing of the fuel pump from the rear of the car when you first turn the key to the ON position?

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Tuesday, December 26, 2006 9:48 PM
Ok, I was able to get back to the car to look at it. The fuel pump is indeed kicking it on. A new light popped on which was the Check engine oil light.
Does this car have some sort of feature that will engage if the oil drops below a certain point?
My brother isn't very good with cars and I have a bad feeling he may have caused damage.
Thanks
Wednesday, December 27, 2006 3:56 AM
If hes been running with little to no oil... he could be causing all kinds of engine damage (of course).
Im not sure if it'll tell the car to kill as a safety measure but maybe?

Could be your ignition system like the ICM not giving the correct spark to the plugs. Maybe tune-up?
Fuel is still a big issue. Could hear it buzzing but may not be giving the right psi. (My guess)

I dont mean any disrespect but is there more than a 1/4 tank of gas in the car. I know some of the newer cars wont allow the car to run below that limit.

Hope it helps...

...They just HATE it when you ...POINT - LAUGH - then DRIVE OFF AND AWAY-!...
Wednesday, December 27, 2006 11:36 AM
Silly me I was *hoping* adding the oil would work, but it didn't. *sigh*
Not disrespected at all There is gas in it, 1/2 tank.
Looked at the spark plugs and only one of them looks like there is some carbon deposits.
Really hoping its not the timing chain either.
At leave I've gotten the problem narrowed down some.
Thanks for all the help!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search