Rough start up HELP!! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rough start up HELP!!
Tuesday, December 26, 2006 9:30 PM
It needs to turn over for 5 to 10 seconds before it will start then it dies or chugs horribly like its missfiring unless i give it gas and keep it at about 3000rpms for a few seconds then it smooths out on idle. Ive changed and gapped the plugs, cleaned the air filter too. It runs just fine once i get it started. It doesnt die on deceleration and idles smoothly once started. Its a 2.4L with about 150k miles. Plug boots are fine, and the contacts on the IDI cover are also in good shape. No check engine lights or other warning lights. Battery seems to be fine. Please keep in mind Ive never had ANY mechanical issues with this engine it has always run fine this just started about 3 days ago.

Re: Rough start up HELP!!
Tuesday, December 26, 2006 9:57 PM
ok its 2.4L whats the year?. Is this starting problem happening before you changed plugs and gapped them?. How old is the fuel filter?. Are the plugs gapped at yrs 95-97 at 0.060, And 98-later at 0.050 for 2.4L. Also could be dirty carboned IAC motor sensor located on your throttle body. I would also change the wires if you got new plugs, The current will be off. If the fuel filter is new, I would look into getting youre pump psi test done. Also if you dont give the car gas, Does it just turn off?
Wednesday, December 27, 2006 3:45 AM
While cranking over...

-If you smell gas, then your maybe getting the right fuel but no spark
Check ignition system (plugs, wires [or boots], ICM, etc.), leaky injector/s
-No gas smell, then no fuel pressure or *not the right pressure
Change fuel filter, Maybe pump, or pluged injector/s
-Other suspects
Coolant temp. sensor- ECU thinks its at running temp at cold start (common)
MAP sensor- Allowing too much air into mixture (maybe)
TPS- ECU may think its too far below running conditions (maybe)
Carbon Build-up- Its an older car, use cleaners *carb, injector, etc* (common)

Hope it helps...

...They just HATE it when you ...POINT - LAUGH - then DRIVE OFF AND AWAY-!...
Wednesday, December 27, 2006 4:37 AM
This started before installing the new plugs. Yes the plugs are gapped correctly. Its a 97 auto and they are gapped to .060. Im interested in this IAC sensor. If im not mistaken its in the throttle body and its sort of spring loaded.. Or the sensor moves in and out right? Maybe I should just replace it anyway LOL.. Where would I purchase one of those? Dont have any wires since its a 2.4 and boots were replaced last year at this time. A visual inspection shows them to be in good shape no cracks or burn marks of any kind. I also put some new dielectric gel inside of them. Plugs are OEM Delco Platinum. Fuel filter is not new... It probably should have been changed a while ago. Ill be changing that out tonite after work. Ill also add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner. Ill report back if none of this helps.

I appreciate all your time,

J
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search