Car will not start - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car will not start
Tuesday, December 26, 2006 11:02 AM
I have a 2001 base model cavalier that will not start for some reason. Basically when I try to start it will try to start but seems almost like it is not getting any fuel. Sometimes it seems like it will start to run for half a second but then will shut back off. It did this to me before about a month ago (right before Thanksgiving) and it appeared to fix itself after a few days of not starting. Currently I am stuck in Georgia unless I can figure this out so any input will be appreciated. My brother in law mentioned the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) but as I understand it if this were the case the car would run like crap or just shut off while it was running.

Re: Car will not start
Tuesday, December 26, 2006 11:18 AM
The security system will cut fuel if it thinks you are trying to start the car without the key. If this is what is happening, there will be blinking light in the cluster. If you wait with the key in the ON position until this light stops blinking, and then it starts, you know it's your security system acting up.

The only other thing I can think of is your fuel pump is dying. Listen for it when you turn the key to the ON position. It will be a faint buzzing type sound coming from the back seat.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Tuesday, December 26, 2006 3:39 PM
I didn't see any blinking lights in the cluster and I did hear the fuel pump buzzing so I'm not sure what else the problem could be. I checked for burned out fuses and didn't see any (though just in case I did replace the fuses for the ignition module and fuel injection).
Tuesday, December 26, 2006 5:14 PM
Fuel filter stoppage will sometimes let the engine run for
just a few seconds.
Tuesday, December 26, 2006 5:19 PM
Fuel filter is the next thing I am checking (tomorrow, when it's not so bloody cold outside). I tried adding fresh fuel to it, shooting starting fluid to it, and then tried to start it which had no new effect (it ran for a few seconds then turned off). I will check the fuel filter tomorrow but if anyone else comes up with anything new I can check for please feel free to let me know.
Tuesday, December 26, 2006 5:50 PM
Wednesday, December 27, 2006 11:38 AM
Unfortunately after changing the fuel filter there has been no change in how the car is behaving. It still starts for a few seconds then dies. I would say fuel pump but I can hear it buzzing under the backseat. Any other ideas?
Wednesday, December 27, 2006 11:52 AM
Let me mention also that the car was driven for about 4 hours, then stopped for about 45 minutes, then drove again for about an hour and a half without incident. We were at the in-law's house for about an hour when it started this particular issue.
Wednesday, December 27, 2006 12:25 PM
Check the PCM connections, under the hood, id say passlock too, but tahts not your problem, are there any lights at all when you put the key in?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2267189
Wednesday, December 27, 2006 12:48 PM
forgive my ignorance but where are the PCM connections? There's no lights out of the ordinary on the cluster. Even though I can hear the fuel pump buzzing I'm still thinking that is the problem. I took the air box off the top of the engine so that I could check for fule flow at the rail. Can anyone tell me which one is the correct line to check on?
Wednesday, December 27, 2006 6:00 PM
Dirty/faulty connections at the ECU may cause the injectors to be
shut off. And, the engine will sometimes run for just a few
seconds.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 7:21 PM
I checked for fuel pressure at the end of the fuel rail and had none so I am going to change the fuel pump tomorrow. For the sake of being thorough can you tell me where the connectors that you are referring to are located so that I can check them in the morning?
Thursday, December 28, 2006 1:39 PM
Sorry i meant ECU, not sure about the location on your car, but its a silver box mounted on the strut towers with 2 connectors on it coming from alot of wiring, good luck, and if it was the ECU, fuel would not be pumped anyways, but good luck!1

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2267189
Friday, December 29, 2006 10:39 PM
I truly truly appreciate all the help. It turns out it was the fuel pump. I pulled the line off the fuel filter and had my wife put the key in the start position and had a trickle of fuel come out. I wasn't sure because I couldn't see what it was supposed to look like but it didn't seem right. I put a new fuel pump in and the car started and ran just fine. On a side note, this is the second time the fuel pump has been replaced in about three years (last time my brother-in-law changed it out) so is there anyone else who has had to replace it with that frequency? Again, thanks for all of the suggestions. If anyone ever has to do any work on a mil-spec HMMWV let me know and I can help you out.
Saturday, December 30, 2006 8:11 AM
My car is a 98 sunfire 2200; and something like this happened twice to me; one moring i go out to start the car and it starts right up, then a second later it shutt off like your was doing. Then i go to start it and it just wines over, so i have to give it gas to get it going and then its all flooded out; so maby my fuel pump is slowly going?????

98 j-body sedan

Saturday, December 30, 2006 11:31 AM
Immanuel, thank you for letting all of us know that a "dead"
fuel pump can still put out a dribble, also sound like it's running....

Just break the line in front of the fuel filter, see if it sprays....

Thanks !
Saturday, December 30, 2006 4:52 PM
If it sprays when you break the line in front of the fuel filter; what does this mean?

98 j-body sedan

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 2:17 PM
Latest news, I replaced the fuel pump while in Georgia and drove the car home (to NC) without incident. Now, roughly five days later it appears that the fuel pump has died again. This time there is not even the buzzing sound when the key is put in the start position. It died in a McDonalds parking lot so I didn't really have tools but I did verify (with a Multimeter) that there is power at the fuel pump relay and that the relay is good. I didn't check for power at the fuel pump electrical connector but I did remove it and reseat it. Any ideas?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search