Gas Mileage - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gas Mileage
Sunday, December 24, 2006 7:00 PM
I've driven about 700 miles in the last couple of weeks, all interstate.

Keeping an eye on my boost gauge to preserve fuel economy, I kept it under 10 Hg mostly.

I always stayed around 70 mph, 2600 rpm, 10Hg, and 13-15 afr.

The last tank, I filled up with 93 octane at a BP in Alabama, the car runs the same as it did before, no misfires, no loss of power...but it seems to be comsuming a lot of fuel. My driving style hasn't changed from the end of last tank and the start of this one. I didn't reset the tripometer like I usually do at the start of a fresh tank because I was logging trip miles.

It just seems like my fuel economy has dropped. Driving from my exit to another one, I dropped a complete notch on my fuel gauge, not the best way of measuring, I know, but it still causes concern.

Since those 4 gauges have remained he same...ish in their readings, could I have gotten bad gas?

Re: Gas Mileage
Sunday, December 24, 2006 7:23 PM
ive noticed that i get better MPG from sertain places too. so its not just you.

12.7@110MPH with 10PSI.
Monday, December 25, 2006 6:36 PM
check your air filter and fuel filter. bad gas can happen...but its not too likely, especially if its a large drop.

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, December 26, 2006 8:01 AM
no need to run 93 octane unless you have boost or knocking. It has been proven time and time again all you are doing is just burning money. I use to think 93 octane was better went back to 87 no issues car ran fine on the road and track.

Also 93 Octane is harder to burn than 87 so more fuel is compensated on some car because of using a fuel that is harder to burn. That is why boost and high compression need it because they don't want the fuel to burn to quickly.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 8:39 AM
Never trusted the gas gauge in my cavalier, I always use the trip odometer to look how the gas is going. In addition to what they said, have you had any cold days lately?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search