IS MY CLUTCH GOING OUT? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
IS MY CLUTCH GOING OUT?
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 7:38 PM
Hey guys i drive a 2001 Z i noticed about 2 weeks ago that when i get up on it in my car such as accelerating quicly to a high RPM when i get to the next gear sometimes when i push the gas in the RPMS will soar but the car is not going any quicker, im assuming it means my clutch is about to go out but then again it only does it sometimes like and can gun it for a while b4 it starts doing it sometimes i can romp on it for like 30 min or so b4 i have problems and other times shorter and then if i just wait a little while it will be okay again got any ideas????

Re: IS MY CLUTCH GOING OUT?
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 7:39 PM
SORRY GUYS I HIT STOP ON THE TOOLBAR B/C I NOTICED I HADNT FINISHED THE TITLE I DIDNT THINK IT HAD POSTED SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE POSTING
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 7:54 PM
I'm not real good with this stuff, but do you think your clutch is "glazing" over. If you push it hard it will start to slip when it gets real hot.

"The Blue Bullet"
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 11:29 PM
How many miles are on the car?

It sounds like what Logan said to me.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 5:00 AM
Yes, it's only a matter of time before it goes totally. When it get hot, it starts to slip and when it cools off a little it's ok. Classic clutch pre-failure symptoms. I'd get that fixed before it totally goes out, if you get it before it scores the flywheel then you won't be required to machine the flywheel. It's a good idea to machine it anyway, expecially if the car has some miles on it. Insurance against future "quick" failure.
Don
Thursday, November 02, 2006 7:58 AM
well there are 93000 miles but it was replaced just b4 i bought it in February with like 80000 but i was just learning to drive a stick and i drive it kinda hard now... im sure there are other threads out there for this but what do u mean "glazing over" and machining the flywheel?? and if im gonna have to replace it i dont know much about i know the stock one is like 300 bucks for it from O reilys and autozone soo if im gonna shell out some cash i would prefer to put a stage 3 in and be done with it does that require a new flywheel to do that?? how would i go about setting that up and what kind of setup do you all have?? and recomendations thanks and sorry i know i could spend time out searching but since u all know what your talking about i rather just get it here thanks
Thursday, November 02, 2006 8:21 AM
a stage 3 is kinda extreme w/o mods to go with it, like unless you're running some major boost i'd probably go no more than a stege 2, stage 1 if you're still n/a...

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, November 02, 2006 1:02 PM
Okay stage two sounds good, but im not sure what all need what parts have to be replaced and what not im just gonna buy the parts and have a mechanic put it in thanks guys for the help
Thursday, November 02, 2006 4:50 PM
Think of the clutch like brakes. Glazed over as in the pads get hard spots from getting to hot, and machining like turning rotors.......sorta....but it gets the idea across.

"The Blue Bullet"
Monday, November 06, 2006 6:54 PM
i just bought a cav with 122k thousand miles, do you guys think it's had the clutch replaced?

2001 2 door five speed 122k.
custom steering linkage pop
2000 s10 (THE WORKS)

Monday, November 06, 2006 7:18 PM
i would think the mileage a clutch gets is very much to do with how it is driven. The guy who had my car b4 me drove it hard, and me learning how to drive a stick on it and trying to drive it hard at the same time didnt help. One of the other problems is the guy i had put the clutch in i believe put the pressure plates in wrong b/c when i got it back it wouldnt shift in to 3rd at all hardly and by the end of the week when i could take it back it wouldnt shift in anything but 5th, its not something cheap to replace but i would advise if u do put something other than a stock clutch in if its a Z24 or if its had some work done on it, other than that i would say leave it unless your having problems. And im not sure but i dont think even the repair manual says there is a set mileage to replace it, but its very possible that it has not been or need to be.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 2:35 PM
white dime wrote:i just bought a cav with 122k thousand miles, do you guys think it's had the clutch replaced?
Always possible, but never know. Drive it and see if it slips. Mine was replaced at 118k only because the spider gears broke. Otherwise I probably could have kept going on the factory clutch.

Note to self....read the post before replying....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, November 07, 2006 2:36 PM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search