Timing chain ticking after warming up - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Timing chain ticking after warming up
Friday, October 27, 2006 5:44 PM
Didn't find this exact problem with search so here goes. I just put a newer engine(8 K miles) in my 99 Z. The only problem is after it gets to full operating temperature it sounds like the timing chain is ticking. Not just a small lifter tick sound but very loud. Could this be the tensioner is stuck and if so why does it only happen when it gets warm? It did it right after the engine change so I let it go for couple hundred miles and changed the oil again. The second change I added 30 weight oil, lucas oil stabilizer, and "no smoke"(basically a really thick oil additive) instead of 10w30.

Re: Timing chain ticking after warming up
Friday, October 27, 2006 9:16 PM
Jay, with only 8 K miles there should be no slack in the

chain or weakness in the tensioner.

A "professional diagnosis" would be recommended.
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 1:21 PM
Thanks Leland for the advice but I was kind of looking for somebody who had or has this problem also and knew what it was. After taking the engine out and putting it in by myself, going to a "professional" seems kind of like I admit defeat to the car. I dont know if that makes sense but that was a lot of work and I'm sure after all that I can probaly fix the noise. If I only knew what it was. If the engine sat for a while could that have weakened the tensioner or make it stick? I would think that the noise would be constant from the start up if it was the tensioner but it's only after it warms up.
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 3:48 PM
Well tensioner's can go bad. Also with only 8k on the motor get that thick ass oil out of that motor! You are killing soo much power.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 5:22 PM
Jay, my only other suggestion...

Browse the other j body club forums...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=j-body-club&btnG=Google+Search
Friday, November 03, 2006 7:32 PM
I had this problem when I changed out the crank shaft in my 2.4. I had to replace the chain tensioner and that cleared it up.
Sunday, November 05, 2006 9:13 PM
OK I messaged Michael Hearn and apparently it isn't the tensioner as his tensioner made noise all the time, especially at start up. Could it be the exhaust manifold bolts are loose. It seems to be coming from the left side by the chain but is it possible that a loose bolt on there could make noise when it heats up? It's definitely coming from close to the chain so is there anything else that will tick after it warms up?
Tuesday, November 21, 2006 4:33 PM
Solution here just to help others who might run into this also. It was the timing chain tensioner after all. The odd thing was that it only made the sound after it reached 190 or so. Basically the tensioner looks like a solenoid but it operates with oil pressure instead of electricity. After inspecting it it seems it was possibly bolted in there loose causing it to wear prematurely inside the housing where the bolt slides in and out to push against the chain. That let the oil spill by the sliding bolt not allowing the chain to stay tight causing the sound after the car warmed up and the oil had thinned down.
Thursday, November 23, 2006 8:36 PM
what does that lucas oil stabilizer do exactly ? i tried the little cog thing they have at homozone but i wasn't impressed by it.

2001 2 door five speed 122k.
custom steering linkage pop
2000 s10 (THE WORKS)

Friday, November 24, 2006 3:51 PM
It only thickens the oil as far as I can tell. On that cog thing the oil seems to ride up further and thicker on the gears. Thats why I put the no-smoke stuff in there also. It just made the oil thicker. Now that I know it wasn't anything but the tensioner I'm removing all the thick oil and additives and returning back to 10w30.
Friday, December 22, 2006 11:59 PM
Jay wrote:Solution here just to help others who might run into this also. It was the timing chain tensioner after all. The odd thing was that it only made the sound after it reached 190 or so. Basically the tensioner looks like a solenoid but it operates with oil pressure instead of electricity. After inspecting it it seems it was possibly bolted in there loose causing it to wear prematurely inside the housing where the bolt slides in and out to push against the chain. That let the oil spill by the sliding bolt not allowing the chain to stay tight causing the sound after the car warmed up and the oil had thinned down.

Hey, I just had my water pump changed and at the same time, changed my timing chain. Checked the tensioner and shoes, the tensioner looked ok, but the shoe that's on the tensioner needed to be changed, so had it changed. Now I have the ticking noise once warmed up, but it didn't do it before had that work done. Is it possible that the tensioner could go just from being taken apart or is it possible that the mechanic didn't put it back together properly and it's causing the same problem? Either way I just noticed it on my way to work tonight and it's not a pleasant sound to hear after spending almost a grand on the car...

97 Sunflower GT
04 Jeep TJ

Saturday, December 23, 2006 6:19 AM
97 Sunflower GT wrote:
Jay wrote:Solution here just to help others who might run into this also. It was the timing chain tensioner after all. The odd thing was that it only made the sound after it reached 190 or so. Basically the tensioner looks like a solenoid but it operates with oil pressure instead of electricity. After inspecting it it seems it was possibly bolted in there loose causing it to wear prematurely inside the housing where the bolt slides in and out to push against the chain. That let the oil spill by the sliding bolt not allowing the chain to stay tight causing the sound after the car warmed up and the oil had thinned down.

Hey, I just had my water pump changed and at the same time, changed my timing chain. Checked the tensioner and shoes, the tensioner looked ok, but the shoe that's on the tensioner needed to be changed, so had it changed. Now I have the ticking noise once warmed up, but it didn't do it before had that work done. Is it possible that the tensioner could go just from being taken apart or is it possible that the mechanic didn't put it back together properly and it's causing the same problem? Either way I just noticed it on my way to work tonight and it's not a pleasant sound to hear after spending almost a grand on the car...

There is 2 styles of tensioners for the 2.4. A 1 piece, and a 2 piece. The factory one if a 2 piece design which uses oil to keep tension. My experience (which is pretty good) has been the factory one is junk. Once you take it off it is very hard to get it to work right again. I prefer the 1 piece design which can be gotten from most auto parts stores. It is spring loaded inside. I have never had a problem with one of these. I know a couple people on here will say the factory design is best but my experience is not so.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search