High Idle with no engine codes! Help! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
High Idle with no engine codes! Help!
Monday, October 30, 2006 9:12 AM
My car is naturally aspirated. It is a 2002 Z24. I have full exhaust and intake. It normally idles at about 1000rpm. Now it is idling at about 1500 rpm. It is not throwing any check engine codes. I didn't notice any leaks on the manifold either. What could this be? I'm getting ready to do a lot of tranny work and throw on the gm supercharger, but not in its present condition. If anybody has had similar circumstances and knows a solution please tell me.

It started after a long highway trip. I took an off-ramp at about 80mph in third gear and the tires came slightly off the ground, over-revving the engine. Could this have attributed to whatever it was? I'm going to pull the spark plugs, look at them, and do another compression test later on. I hope I don't find anything wrong.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Re: High Idle with no engine codes! Help!
Monday, October 30, 2006 11:57 PM
sounds like your IAC just crapped on you or your tb is just dirty preventing the plate to close right. I dont believe your trip or the wheel hop could of affected it. Or you might just have to readjust your idle screw.

clean your tb and your IAC with some throttle body cleaner. Make sure your idle screw is still in the right position.

Couldnt tell you what else it could be besides a vaccum leak or a map sensor (but doubt it).
Hope it helps

...They just HATE it when you ...POINT - LAUGH - then DRIVE OFF AND AWAY-!...
Re: High Idle with no engine codes! Help!
Tuesday, October 31, 2006 12:05 AM
my '02 Z24 had the same problem .

no vacuum leaks at the TB, the IAC and TPS were fine (verified by replacing them with good units from another car).

while idling, a friend sprayed WD-40 around the intake manifold gasket. it bogged down a bit. so I replaced that gasket. I also replaced the o-rings around the fuel injectors too.

after all that was done, I pulled the battery cable for about 10 minutes, hooked it back up, and it ran fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, October 31, 2006 12:07 AM

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search