2.4L water outlet housing hard line Q - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4L water outlet housing hard line Q
Monday, October 30, 2006 9:38 AM
My water outlet housing isleaking coolant. The o-ring inside is shot and the end of the housing was actually cracked in pieces. I have that new part.
My question: Is the hard line that goes into the housing bent at the end? I can't imagine I bent when I was pulling it out (it was in there tight) but I want to make sure. The idiots at the dealership looked like they never saw it. There is a small rubber seal at the end (o-ring like).
thanks. Car is a '96 2.4L.

mtbon

Re: 2.4L water outlet housing hard line Q
Monday, October 30, 2006 10:14 AM
The small rubber seal is actually the thermostat gasket- it goes AROUND the thermostat-- before you reassemble the hose- make sure you get a new one & install it on the thermostat itself. I also like to put a little waterpump/thermostat sealent around the outside of the thermostat just to prevent any leaks...

Im not real sure what you mean by "bent at the end" but if you mean on the flange part that bolts to the pump housing- then NO, shouldnt be bent- the flange needs to be flat..

However, that whole hardline is bent & twisted & pinched in different places... Maybe this is what you're talking about.. ???

Monday, October 30, 2006 10:16 AM
Actually... I was just thinking about it..

If you're talking about the smaller hard line that runs away from the pump towards the driverside- than yes, at the very end of it- there's like a 1 1/2" bend @ the end where it points up.

Monday, October 30, 2006 12:12 PM
he said water outlet.. top drivers side of engine?.
The hard line bends around the back of the engine but when it goes into the water outlet it goes in thre straight.
Its almost a 90 degree bend and then straight in.

The rubber piece is a seal that goes ON the water-outlet BEFORE u reinstall it. That is common to break. Just make sure to replace it
Monday, October 30, 2006 12:45 PM
Yes, Jonathan has it right. However, I must have bent the hard line at the tip where the seal is b/c mine is bent. Great, another part that's to be ordered.
Thanks for the info.

mtbon
Monday, October 30, 2006 5:27 PM
also, the plastic housings tend to warp and cause leaks. after replacing the housings twice within 20,000 miles. I picked up some gasket paper. cut it outs anmd glued it with red rtv sealent then put it on. Never leaked since!
Wednesday, August 08, 2007 8:16 AM
Daniel's comment about adding RTV and gasket paper sounds like a good one.

The new and crummy Chinese water outlet I replaced last month is leaking again so I need to put in another one tonight.

This time I bought the AC Delco part but I wonder if I should still use RTV and gasket paper too. Probably the thinest paper I can find is best since the outlet is designed to bottom out on the brass inserts in the bolt holes. Wouldn't too thick paper cause the plastic housing to warp and leak?

Your comments are appreciated.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search