Flex Pipe replacement 2.2L - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Flex Pipe replacement 2.2L
Sunday, October 29, 2006 5:20 AM
Well it looks like mine got cracked and is leaking. :-(

Does anyone know what the outer diameter (OD) of the stock pipe from the manifold is? I am thinking it looks like 1 3/4" but I want to make sure before I purchase the part. What I am thinking I will do is simply hacksaw off the old one and clamp on a new one on. Possible weld it if my buddy has some free time.

J

Re: Flex Pipe replacement 2.2L
Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:27 AM
1-7/8", I used a 2" and filled it in, but I know how to weld (and have a welder).

Sunday, October 29, 2006 7:20 PM
Great so I will get the 2" OD flex pipe, measure up the proper length of the actual "flex" peice and buy a generic flex pipe and get my brother to actually use his welder

Thanks!

J
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 4:12 PM
Oops, I am thinking if the outer diameter of the stock pipe is 1 7/8" then I would actually need a 2" INNER diameter pipe to fit over the existing pipe? That sound right?

J
Tuesday, November 07, 2006 4:36 PM
yea, sounds right.

2001 2 door five speed 122k.
custom steering linkage pop
2000 s10 (THE WORKS)

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 5:18 PM
Actually if the manifold pipe is 1 7/8" OD you need a 1 7/8" ID flex pipe.
Wednesday, November 08, 2006 5:21 AM
Chad Culbertson wrote:Actually if the manifold pipe is 1 7/8" OD you need a 1 7/8" ID flex pipe.

Well I checked with all the local exhaust shops and as it seems everything they have is either 2" OD in a 14" length (too long) or 1 3/4" OD in a 6" length (too short). Now these options will work if the flex pipe is welded but initially I wanted to keep costs more minimal and just clamp the flexpipe onto the outside of the existing manifold piping. Ah well, look like I will have to give in and get an exhaust shop to do the job (I should stop being cheap but the 2.4L gets the money not the 2.2L Hehehe)

J
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search