Front Engine Cover/Crank Pulley/woodruff Key - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Front Engine Cover/Crank Pulley/woodruff Key
Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:04 AM
Lots in the subject line huh!? Someone who has done this install should know what I'm talking about I hope!!

Let me explain I guess...went to install my new crank pulley (light weight one) and once we got the old pulley (OEM) off, noticed the woodruff key, or the crank pin/key was well roughed up! What happened was, best guess, was when I installed the SC, I removed the RK Sport Crank Pulley and reinstalled the OEM one. I didn't get it tight enough when first installed. There was a small leak (oil) when I cranked the engine, so I turned it off and put a little more pressure on the bolt and got it tighter and it didn't leak anymore. This was back in June 2006.

I've drove the car about 3,000 miles since then too...no codes or anything really of note...I run a bit warmer engine temp wise is about it.

So, what happened when I cranked the engine is I think the crank pulley slipped about 180 degrees...lodged itself in the stock OEM crank pulley and seated itself. The stock pulley has a place for the key and then the opposite side has a place where the key came to a rest and made a decent mark, or dent, in the stock pulley and pretty much mangled the pin in the pulley.

So once I got the stock pulley off I noticed this and did not install the new pulley as the key/pin is stuck in the crank now. It's in the original location in the crank, just bent to the side a little now and smashed somewhat as it sat against the OEM pulley after turning. I can't get the key out as I tried for more than an hour!!

I need to replace that key now. Question is, can I do that without pulling the engine. Talked with another member here and he said maybe dropped the engine a bit (down) and get access to the front engine cover rather than drop the engine. Makes sense...but can I gain enough access to get the front engine cover off to get at the key? I don't know? My repair manuel does not say to pull the engine to get to the front engine cover off the car and get to the oil sprockets and such where this key is so I would think you could?

Also...do you think there is any damage to other parts there? The key is sitting in it's original place, just bent sideways a bit? What is the part number also as I have looked and looked and can't find the part number? Figure I'll need the front engine seal/gaskets to reinstall but jsut not sure?

Any help? I can get some pics tomorrow of the stock pulley to show the back of it. Can't take a pic of the crank itself as I have the wheel back on to push it.

Thanks.

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?

Re: Front Engine Cover/Crank Pulley/woodruff Key
Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:17 AM
You can get the front cover off by taking the front (of the engine) mount off, support the engine with something. Then take the 20+ bolts loose and she'll pop right off. You'll need a new key, and the two gaskets for the engine cover (should be pretty cheap really). Should be able to take a good side prybar and get the key out.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:26 AM
So take the top mount and bottom mount out and drop the engine enough to get access and shoudl be good to go then? No pressure on the tranny or axels like that?

Of course use a support to hold it up...how much can I lower it like that?

Thanks for the help! You think everything else is ok...just replace the key?

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?
Sunday, November 19, 2006 9:48 AM
Well I got it fixed today finally!

Man..what an PITA! After about 16 hours or so she is running again.

Word of caution...if you ever change your crank pulley...ensure the woodruff key is lined up! Didn't cost me but about $150 or so in parts and garage time (self-serve garage) but man...after taking the front engine cover off, the valve cover, the cam sprockets, most of the chain tensioners and a few other parts and pieces...all without the engine out of the car...wow, it was a tight and tough fix.

Had a guy in my local club come by today to help me finish it. He works at an Opel dealer and man does he know his stuff.

Anyways...just wanted to post back to say I got it done. Again...if you change out your crank pulley ensure you know what the heck you are doing and then check again, as I've done this 3 times before on my car and a couple others. I just didn't take my time when I did it on my car the last time.

Last time I try and hurry something!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search