Coolant Leak On Side Off Engine - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Coolant Leak On Side Off Engine
Sunday, October 29, 2006 8:21 AM
Hi all, I have a quick question that I'm sure someone can help out with. Over the last few months, I've noticed some coolant on my garage floor. Over time, the leake got worse and worse, until yesterday it was pouring out like a faucet. I popped the hood and noticed that the leak is coming from the driver side of the engine near the top and on the side. Is that where the thermostat is located? It looks like it's right by the power steering pump/resoviour. I suppose its the gasket in the thermostat.

Does anyone have any idea how to change this thing? It looks real crammed with hoses and I have no clue what to do first.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Re: Coolant Leak On Side Off Engine
Sunday, October 29, 2006 8:34 AM
not sure but i know the water pump is in the back of the engine and when the pump goes bad, it spits coolant out like that. water pumps on a 2.4 are a bitch and if you take it somewhere their gonna charge you like 800 bucks

Sunday, October 29, 2006 8:36 AM
It's definately on on the back of it. It's right next to the battery, bolted on the block
Sunday, October 29, 2006 8:37 AM
Sorry... meat to say it's NOT on the back of the engine
Sunday, October 29, 2006 8:52 AM
Does it leak while warm or only while sitting? If it only leaks while sitting, that is a sure sign of a hose leak. When the engine gets warm, the hose expands and closes the hole so it doesn't leak. But when it cools down, the hole opens up again and leaks. That was my problem and I had a pinhole in a heater core hose.
Sunday, October 29, 2006 9:36 AM
It leaks from the get-go. I can see the fuild dripping on the block, but cant see from where. Whether the car is runnign cold or hot, it still leaks. Just to clarify, is that where the thermostat is located? Is it easy to remove? It looks like I'll also have to remove the hose from the power steering tank just to get to the screws holding the thermostat in. Is this correct?
Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:09 AM
Cracked water neck. Happened to me, same location, same problem.
It sorta looks like where the thermo would go, but it's not in there and should not have one.

The power steering pump has 2 bolts (13mm), then it pulls straight off, set it asside. You should be able to see the water neck. It has two bolts as well (10mm). The rigid pipe coming out the side just pulls straight off. It's not easy, but you'll figure it out. The radiator hose has a clamp, yada yada. Find what's broke and where, take it to a dealership and order new parts. My waterneck was only like $8 or so.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:14 AM
Thanks so much for the advice. Is that what I ask for? A "waterneck"? Do I also need gaskets for it, or will they be include with the part?
Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:18 AM
It should come with an O-ring (or two, small one is for that other hard pipe if it comes with it).

Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:23 AM
Great!!

Just to clarify.... what do I ask for?? A waterneck? Or does it have another name?
Sunday, October 29, 2006 11:26 AM
it's called outlet

Monday, November 06, 2006 7:04 AM
Would this be pretty much the only thing that would cause coolant to leak on the driver's side of the engine? Most everything described in this thread is what I am seeing, but it seems like it is coming from the back side of the engine on the driver's side. I noticed at my last oil change that there was something dripping off the tranny and have been having small puddles in the driveway of what I assumed was coolant. Then today on my way to work the coolant light flashed a few times and I could see steam coming from the engine bay. When I opened the hood, there was steam coming from the driver's back corner of the engine when it was running. Trying to figure out if I can make it back home with the car of if I am going to have to have it towed.

Monday, November 06, 2006 10:07 AM
Just did this job this past weekend. At the dealer they call it the water outlet. Coolant dripped down the engine toward the firewall and down the transmission. Mine was a slow leak. Based on discussions here, I figured I just needed the gasket. But once I got the water outlet off, it was all cracked where the gasket sits. $28 for the part from dealer. The hard line that feeds into the outlet also has a rubber gasket. You could probably get away with using the old one, but I bought a new one. Before you try to take the hard line out, unbolt all it's other mounting points (one on side of engine and one in the back close to exhaust mainfold, and off course the rubber hose if you need to. Dealer wanted $400 to do this job.

mtbon
Tuesday, November 07, 2006 2:28 PM
Got it towed to a shop today. The coolant neck is cracked like everyone said. So for new neck, flush and fill, looking at $375.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 4:59 PM
Jackass wrote:Got it towed to a shop today. The coolant neck is cracked like everyone said. So for new neck, flush and fill, looking at $375.

If this is the part I'm thinking of...your paying WAY to much to get that done....I believe your talking about the same piece that went bad on my car.....little black plastic piece on the side of the motor??? If it's the piece I'm thinking of their cheap...like $10...here is the part # 24575259

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 7:04 AM
It isn't parts that are expensive, it is labor. I am just too lazy these days to take apart everything and replace it myself. I haven't seen the final bill yet, but if they charge me more than $30 for that outlet (GM list price) I'll take it up with AAA (they are who recommended the shop). Otherwise if you consider the labor involved, I don't think it is too crazy. A little more than I wanted, but better than leaving my car sitting in downtown KC for two weeks until I had time to work on it. Then again, last thing I wanted to do was to be working on my car outside in a dark parking garage.

Everyone must remember...Jackass is a lazy bastard.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 5:53 PM
Jackass wrote:It isn't parts that are expensive, it is labor. I am just too lazy these days to take apart everything and replace it myself. I haven't seen the final bill yet, but if they charge me more than $30 for that outlet (GM list price) I'll take it up with AAA (they are who recommended the shop). Otherwise if you consider the labor involved, I don't think it is too crazy. A little more than I wanted, but better than leaving my car sitting in downtown KC for two weeks until I had time to work on it. Then again, last thing I wanted to do was to be working on my car outside in a dark parking garage.

Everyone must remember...Jackass is a lazy bastard.

Hey, your money, your time....I was just trying to save you $350 dollars! It's not too hard of labor.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search