Coolant Q - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Coolant Q
Saturday, October 28, 2006 1:09 AM

I've seen a couple posts about our engines running hot, but in this case I was just wondering if anyone else ran into this, and if I should run through and do a coolant flush + t-stat changeout.

Basically, when the cars in motion, its fine and stays about midpoint on the engine temp dial. On the other hand, if I'm idling in a parking lot or at a fast food joint the dial starts to raise.

Noticed this this afternoon while parked and eating lunch with the engine on, engine heat went up about 2 ticks and was still raising when I decided to click the engine off and let the engine run.

But like I said, only when parked. Is this pretty common on these engines or should I turn around and do some dX work?

Re: Coolant Q
Saturday, October 28, 2006 4:02 AM
Dracas wrote:engine heat went up about 2 ticks and was still raising when I decided to click the engine off and let the engine run.

But like I said, only when parked. Is this pretty common on these engines or should I turn around and do some dX work?

Did you mean "engine off and let the FAN run"?

With no "Ram Air" from the forward motion of the car the temp will go up, provided the fan runs and the temperature is reduced I would say it is working properly.

For my '93 2.2 the thermostat opens at 195 deg F

The Cooling Fan is switched on at 220 deg F, this 25 deg F rise is normal until the fan starts to run, it should switch OFF at approx 205 deg F.

So. simply put, normally you will see the temp gauge reading approx thermostat temp but when the car is stopped and the engine running temp will increase and should then be reduced by the cooling fan.

Hope this helps

Alont
Re: Coolant Q
Saturday, October 28, 2006 6:56 PM
mine does the same thing although i too need to take it for a coolant flush. when the car is moving the temp gauge is mid-way in the normal operating range. however, during idling, the temp gauge will sometimes move to, say, 75% of the normal operating range instead of about 50% or just below it. the gauge never goes near the orange or red zone. from what i read in other places this is normal for this engine and a coolant flush and thermostat change may not necessarily resolve this problem. it's just how these engines are. as long as the fan comes on and after that the temp drops back to about half way in the normal operating range i wouldn't see this as a cause for concern. but if the gauge does go into the orange or even red zone (overheating) then you may have a more serious problem.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search