2.2 starter wiring help - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 starter wiring help
Thursday, October 26, 2006 7:17 PM
I go to start my car and 6 out of 10 times the starter sticks on after i shut the car off.....well i thought it might be the starter so i picked one up...its doing the same thing....what the hell is going on....i have 5 wires hooked up to the starter at the moment...3 up top and 2 on the little screw....could it be something wrong with the relay thing they installed at the dealership a couple years ago or is it that i have the wires hooked up wrong..help me please..pics would be fantastic

Re: 2.2 starter wiring help
Thursday, October 26, 2006 7:22 PM
by the way...i didnt have this problem till i changed motors....i recently put a 97 motor in my 96....both were 2.2s

Friday, October 27, 2006 7:09 AM

Friday, October 27, 2006 9:21 AM
As far as i can tell you there should only be 3 wires on the starter. Thats how it is setup on my car. Having some wires hooked to the starter that arent part of the starting system can cause this problem. Out of the times that it happens are any lights left on or an amp turned on or anything? Im only giving a general idea since im not to sure what the other 2 wire hooked up do if they are part of the starting system. I know there is the hot from the battery, ign wire(i think its purple it goes with the power wire on the same post) and there is also one wire that goes to the small post. I am not sure what the small wire does as of yet.
Friday, October 27, 2006 12:18 PM
ok so i replaced the ignition sesnor and i moved one of the wires on the bottom of the starter to ground and it starts fine now..now i have another new problem...the car doesnt shift and the speedometer doesnt work
this @!#$ car i swear

Monday, October 30, 2006 1:14 PM
Okay. The problem with the car not shifting or your speedo not working. Probably related to the plug the goes into the tranny. check for cut wires or wires that are touching other wires. Check your ground also. Also check the wire you moved because the starter self grounds i believe. There is the ground strap that goes from the starter to the solenoid and it if came off of that you should be okay but double check it to make sure. Also has it thrown a code?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search