Weird Knock, NOT the motor though. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Weird Knock, NOT the motor though.
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 7:02 PM
Hey, just hard this start today, My car makes a knocking noise @ idle, BUT I do not beleive its the motor, it sounds like a woodpecker to be exact, and when i turn the wheel, it completely goes away, and the motor runs mint. I checked the PS fluid, it was low, but not so much so i filled it, the resevoir was @ 1/4th i filled it, noise remained. Noise still goes away when i turn the wheel.

I am pretty sure this can be diagnosed threw these symptoms by a few more mech well off members here, I also recently (about 2 months ago) did the Secret cam swap, car has been running mint since though.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"

Re: Weird Knock, NOT the motor though.
Thursday, October 26, 2006 11:39 AM
So if not the motor, where is the noise coming from?

I mean, I know you're asking us, but really, you're the one that can hear it, so give us a lil more help.

Since it's happening at idle, I assume the car does not need to be moving for the sound to appear, right?

Have someone sit in the car while you poke your head under the hood (or wherever the sound seems to be loudest) and try to identify the component where the sound originates. Have the person sitting in the car turn the wheel a couple times to make the sounds disappear and reappear in an effort to isolate where it's coming from. If you're having problems identifying exactly where it's coming from, pick up a "mechanics stethoscope" at any auto parts store (less than $10) and use it to pinpoint the sound.

Good Luck.

-Ferrite
Re: Weird Knock, NOT the motor though.
Friday, October 27, 2006 10:01 AM
Well do, but from what I can tell it is coming from around the crank case area. I am going to try and fully diagnose it tonight.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search