04 Sunfire/what brand disks to get - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04 Sunfire/what brand disks to get
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 3:04 PM
Hello

Rotors are warped after 35,000 Kms.

What's the best replacement?

Walt

Re: 04 Sunfire/what brand disks to get
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 4:46 PM
Regardless of what you buy, rotors will always warp. Slotted/ Cross drilled may take a little longer, but expect to replace Jbody front brakes once a year!

It's just how the car is designed. Most Minivans are the same way!

Ryan1

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 8:55 PM
Warping can be fixed by turning them (at a machine shop). But only once usually before they're too thin.
They warp from braking hard then coming to a complete stop. It's not something that happens over time and has little to do with the design.

Friday, October 27, 2006 10:08 PM
Brake parts for the Cavalier are so cheap, I don't think its worth it to turn the rotors. My rotors warped after about 12k miles, and I replaced them with Brembo slotted rotors and Akebono ACT Pads while I was at it. This setup has lasted 30k miles and is still going strong. I got all the parts (except the grease for the break slides) from tirerack.com.
Saturday, October 28, 2006 8:25 AM
C.T.S wrote:Warping can be fixed by turning them (at a machine shop). But only once usually before they're too thin.
They warp from braking hard then coming to a complete stop. It's not something that happens over time and has little to do with the design.

Are you serious?

Yes you can turn the rotors for about the same price you can buy new ones, so why bother?

I understand what you are saying about braking too hard = warping rotors....but I know that front brakes on J Bodies are notorious for warping within the the same year you change them if they are OEM replacements especially.

It is a design flaw because they certainly could have used a bigger rotor and pad system to help control things a little better. Ask any mechanic, any dealership what the most common parts they replace on a J Body and they will say front brakes.

Yes driving habits can cause a shorter then normal wearout, but in city stop and go traffic what do you expect?

I've driven many cars over the years and have personally noticed that Jbodies go through brakes a lot faster then the 80's cars i've owned and others.

That's all I was saying to the creator of this post that the problem isn't going to go away even if you baby the brakes, they will still warp in time.

Ryan1

Saturday, October 28, 2006 11:59 AM
Just don't buy the GM replacements. I changed my pads and badly warped rotors soon after buying the car new. Got whatever aftermarket rotors my auto parts store was selling, some decent pads... No problems since. Guess OEM parts aren't always the best...
Saturday, October 28, 2006 11:20 PM
I guess I'm an exception to the rule. I'm at 42K miles and on the original pads & rotors. They don't make any noise, and the pedal feels firm when I brake, but with the way you guys are talking about them, I think I might pull the wheel off next week and just check. It's not suprising though. My x-gf's grand am went through 3 sets of pads, and 2 sets of rotors in a year! I guess GM cheaps out on their car brakes.

Brett
Sunday, October 29, 2006 1:45 AM
<sarc> Not that brakes are an "important" part of a vehicle.. </sarc>

----------------------------

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search