Humming noise coming from wheel - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Humming noise coming from wheel
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 11:12 AM
There is a strange humming noise coming from the front end when the wheel is turned slightly to the left (while moving). I'm thinking it could be a wheel bearing. Can I replace the bearing myself or do they need to be pressed in/out?

I jacked up the car and tried to wiggle the tire with my hands at 12 and 6 o'clock. nothin, but from side to side it clunks. Does this mean tie rods ends, cv joints, or bearings?

Any help would help!

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch

Re: Humming noise coming from wheel
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 11:19 AM
usually side to side (9 and 3) is tie rod end or steering and like you said 12 and 6 is wheel bearing but generally the only humming youd get is froma bearing. and the wheel bearings on our cars come as a whole new hub assembly with the bearings built into the hub. when i replaced mine it was a dealership only part and costed $265.

The one, the only, ME.
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 12:45 PM
I would agree, Its youre wheel bearing, better off replacing both of them at once, Just saves you time doing the same job over again.

Good Luck
Thursday, October 26, 2006 6:39 AM
$265!?!?! I went to Advanced Auto yesterday and got a brand new hub for $65. I guess thats a good price. i replaced it but the humming is still there. i am going to replace the other side too, just for good measure.

But I'll tell ya what... I almost couldn't get off the rotor OR the hub. Everything was rusted nature. together so tight I thought it would be impossible. But Mr. C clamp and Mr. hammer convinced it overwise.

I have a big hunch that the humming sound is coming from inside the tranny or the spider gears or something of that. I really don't know what to look for though. So for now I guess I'll have to live with it.

Thanks for the replies

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Thursday, October 26, 2006 6:41 AM
its your wheel bearing. replace the other side

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search