power steering flush - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
power steering flush
Tuesday, October 10, 2006 9:49 AM
Hey guys I just came back from the dealership for an oil change and emissions tests. The advisor told me that the mechanic found that my power steering fluid was discolored and advised a flush. The car has 65k on it, you guys think I should get it done?

Re: power steering flush
Wednesday, October 11, 2006 7:24 AM
Still running with OE fluid in my '96. Topped it off a few times, but we're talking roughly a teaspoon worth each time. Never heard of a steering flush...EVER. Drain, refill, and bleed yourself. If you're still under some kind of warranty, then let that eat the cost. Discolored fluid would indicate something overly wearing in the system, or something geting in where it shouldn't. Best to see what the contaminant is to know what might be wrong.
Wednesday, October 11, 2006 7:44 AM
yeah well i have a 1998 and i have had it since 2002 and i have never had to add any fluid or anything no problems and i dont think there was any added before or anything so i would get that checked out fa real because it might be something serious
Wednesday, October 11, 2006 12:20 PM
Ive got 01 cavalier I was at one of those BS oil change centers, The young guy told me a bunch of stuff that I needed, One fuel filter had a little rust color to it, I changed it not ever 8 months before going to oil change place, Then the said I needed a my transmission serviced like fluid change, pan Gasket , As well of my power steering fluid flushed. I told him I am only here for the oil change, No extra's, It was like the guy as argueing with me, In which the lower level tech guy underneath the car, Was telling him to quit pressuring the custmer, Geez, Its funny though how some places want you to spend alot of cash when you get in the shop. For you Jacob B, Its pretty straight forward for you to replace youre power steering fluid, Just get a turkey baseter thingy, suck out the old power steering fluid, Then add new power steering fluid.

Good Luck
Sunday, October 15, 2006 9:21 AM
ya good idea... I googled power steering flush and found that no automaker in the world recommends a flush for P/S as well as our service schedule from GM doesn't say to do it so I assume its just normal for the fluid to discolor in time/miles. I read that people actually have slightly discolored fluid after a couple of thosand miles. So basically its an upsell similar to large size fries only more expensive.... lol.

Can anyone tell me how their power steering fluid looks like right? and how many miles???
Monday, July 30, 2007 7:13 PM
1996 84,400 miles

i noticed mines was on low and means to add to get to level C

mines was light dark brown. and i saw the new bottle i got was clear.

can i just add the new bottle on top of the old? or do i need to flush out the old and pour in the new?

~1996 Cavalier LS 2.4L (auto)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search