2.4 Starter Wires- HELP !! **PICS** - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 Starter Wires- HELP !! **PICS**
Saturday, October 07, 2006 1:26 PM
Hello...

Ive had the motor out of my car for a little while & I don't remember what way the starter wires attach to the solenoid & its not something I wanna guess.

Its a 97 2.4-AUTO.

Theres 2 lugs on the starter solenoid- One large one that comes from the battery & 1 smaller one. I upgraded the smaller wire that used to link over to the alternator- so thats gone. Out of the 3 wires pictured- the black one is the only one large enough to fit on the big lug. The other 2 wires (red & black) have small lugs on them. But- I dont think they both goto the one lug. Is one a ground?

I think GM put that yellow crimp on the purple wire for that recall about the steering column melting from the starter getting stuck. Im not sure what they added or removed.

Any help is much appreciated.

Re: 2.4 Starter Wires- HELP !! **PICS**
Sunday, October 08, 2006 4:46 PM
I doubt this picture will help but thought id' try anyway...

STUFF FOR SALE... Please click here and see more info...
Sunday, October 08, 2006 9:42 PM
The black wire goes to ground. Find a place on the block.

The red wire with the smaller eyelit goes to the small stud on the starter. That is for crank signal.

The last wire (red w/ the fuseable link) goes two the top large stud on the starter. That is battery power.

Sunday, October 08, 2006 10:07 PM
zsquee24 wrote:The black wire goes to ground. Find a place on the block.

The red wire with the smaller eyelit goes to the small stud on the starter. That is for crank signal.

The last wire (red w/ the fuseable link) goes two the top large stud on the starter. That is battery power.

Yeah- I took another look @ it today down the shop & got another opinion... Id just didn't wanna mix it up because it would be a pain to fix under the intake manifold.

Thanks!

Sunday, October 08, 2006 10:54 PM
When I changed my starter last year, I mixed up the wires on the starter and had a battery charging issue. Car died in a mall parking lot, went in the sears, bought a set of channel locks and fixed the issue. After a job with a jumper that Sears was ever-so-nice to loan me, I was back on my way.

----------------------------

Thursday, October 19, 2006 4:52 PM
A little late, but I wanted to thank you for your help.
I actually asked this in a different thread, but I was referred here.

I ended up rewiring a couple of things, someone had already been in there and done a crappy job......

Jeremy

Thursday, December 28, 2006 3:31 PM
k this may b stupid but does only the red power go to the large post? also there are 2 small wires plus the ground, both small go to small post? then the black with fuse link to block? sorry but i just wanna make sure i have it all down.

2004 Cavalier, 2.2 ecotec, 5spd getrag
do you ever notice that the ones who talk the loudest have the least to talk about?
Friday, April 13, 2007 6:42 PM
HANZENRIDER: THE PHOENIX wrote:I doubt this picture will help but thought id' try anyway...

What kinda starter is that??

Not a carbon fiber hood!!

Friday, September 19, 2008 5:51 PM
I am having this same issue right now basically. I have a 97 Fire, 2.4 Auto. My problem at the moment is finding which wire goes to the alternator, I think. I did as zsquee24 said a few posts earlier, and put the black wire to the engine block, the small-ringed red wire to the small stud on the starter, and the fusible link was placed together with the battery + wire on the large stud on the starter. After doing this, the car can be started. One problem -- now there is no wire going to the alternator, and as such, my battery is not being charged. Can somebody post pics of which wire is on the stud of the alternator, and to where it leads? By the way (if it matters), I think my car has had the starter relay recall service done, as there is a purple wire going into two different wire harnesses, and this wire has the yellow crimp on it like the previous pictures show.

I can't type in cursive!
Saturday, September 20, 2008 2:56 PM
The purple wire i belive goes into a relay to begin with but from my understanding it was in the steering colum where they were suppose to do the recall. Now as for the starter deal. I amp pretty sure that the top post big one. Should have two wires on it. Because the power from the battery goes to the starter(big red wire) then a smaller wire goes from the starter to the alternator.

In which i am pretty sure in his picture is the black wire with the fusable link. It should go back into the wire loom and come out close to the alternator. So it should go Big red to top stud first, Fuseable link black looking wire in pic but should be red somewhere on the top stud over top of the big red wire. The follow the fuseable wire to the alternator and hook it up. Red wire with small hole to little stud on the starter. Black wire (starter relay ground)ground it to the grounds on the tranny or some place it will get a good ground.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:34 AM
Jonesey wrote:I am having this same issue right now basically. I have a 97 Fire, 2.4 Auto. My problem at the moment is finding which wire goes to the alternator, I think. I did as zsquee24 said a few posts earlier, and put the black wire to the engine block, the small-ringed red wire to the small stud on the starter, and the fusible link was placed together with the battery + wire on the large stud on the starter. After doing this, the car can be started. One problem -- now there is no wire going to the alternator, and as such, my battery is not being charged. Can somebody post pics of which wire is on the stud of the alternator, and to where it leads? By the way (if it matters), I think my car has had the starter relay recall service done, as there is a purple wire going into two different wire harnesses, and this wire has the yellow crimp on it like the previous pictures show.

The large post on top of the starter should have a wire coming from the battery positive and one going to the alternator. It is a short wire going from the starter to the alternator.

Monday, October 13, 2008 1:09 PM
Okay so it appears I am only missing a short wire that goes from the starter to the alternator -- see, after reading the post above, I connected a small "test" wire from the starter to the alternator to see if it would work, and it cured the problem. So now, after checking with junkyards around me, it seems the closest one that has a 2.4 is over an hour away from me (pretty crazy, huh). So I am just going to use a generic wire, but i want to make sure i get the right size/length/whatever. Anybody know which wire I need to purchase? Thanks!!

I can't type in cursive!
Tuesday, October 14, 2008 2:23 PM
Bump. Help!

I can't type in cursive!
Wednesday, October 15, 2008 2:26 PM
Please?

I can't type in cursive!
Friday, November 07, 2008 1:58 PM
I'd go with 4 to 6 awg wire. 6awg can handle up to 101A in automotive applications. 4awg if you run any big audio equipment.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search