Weird Issue Not Starting - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Weird Issue Not Starting
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 12:55 PM
Hey guys,

2001 Cavi 2200 is giving me some issues today. Went out to start it today just finished washing it and it wont start turn the key and nothing just dash lights. So i called for a tow truck they come and tow me to GM gets there and it starts so they tell me nothing is wrong i take it home go out to start it again and the same thing so this time i go inside wait 20 mins come out try again and it starts???? wtf

I just had the starter changed like 6 months ago and i had that stupid ignition recall done like 2 years ago and i have not had any problems with it any ideas guys??

thanks in advance for your hel[p

Chris

Re: Weird Issue Not Starting
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 1:14 PM
Fuel filter?
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 1:57 PM
I just had the fuel pump and filter done like 20000 km ago so im pretty sure there good
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 8:03 PM
I would disconnect both cables at the battery and then disconnect the Negative cable at the chassis ground point.

Clean the cable end so it's shiny, clean the connection point on the chassis as well.

Might as well clean the Positive and Negative cable ends at the battery and make sure the terminals are clean at the same time.

Check the Main Positive connection is tight and clean at the Starter.

Then reconnect the chassis negative cable, the Positive cable at the battery and , lastly, the negative battery connection.

I think your problem is a bad connection somewhere, especially as you had just washed it before it first occurred

Alont
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:01 PM
thanks man will try that out tomorrow
Wednesday, August 16, 2006 5:39 AM
yeah one time on my dodge the ground cable left go and it wouldnt start , might just be loose or dirty.
Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:40 PM
GM is telling me that it started fine all day today i left it with them there saying they have a hunch that it might be the igntion switch?? Do you think i should get it changed or could it more likely be something else

turning the key and nothing like when your starter goes but my starter is brand new lol.
Wednesday, August 16, 2006 7:13 PM
I think GM should have more than a "Hunch" the ignition switch is bad, they should have enough equipment there to "Know" it is bad--or not!

Also, was not the ignition switch to be changed in the ignition recall. (If it was faulty?)

Alont
Wednesday, August 16, 2006 11:22 PM
No for the recall all they did was install a relay between the starter and the battery thats all I can see that was done i dont kno what was suppose to be done for the recall. And they cant give me a diagnostic on it because it hasent happened with them yet everytime ive taken it in its worked fine but at home its been gay and done it @!#$ car lol so i dont kno
Thursday, August 17, 2006 6:20 AM
Ive had the same problem before. It comes and goes. I havent really traced the problem hard enough but from doing some talking with fellow mechanic friends it seems that it could be the ign switch. I guess the contacts just get worn out causing the problem. Havent replaced it yet since its not quite worth the cost of the parts in my mind.
Thursday, August 17, 2006 7:31 PM
Here is a link to the recall and it calls for the switch to be replaced if it was necessary.

Basically if the key were to be held in the start position, i.e. for a long crank before a start, there was a chance that the wiring to the starter solenoid would overheat. The high current would also pass through the ignition switch.

To reduce the current through the Ignition Keyswitch and wiring to the starter solenoid the relay was introduced.

http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/67-int/1999/chevrolet/cavalier/base/index.html

Maybe the switch is bad but the dealer should be able to test it.

Hope you get it fixed

Alont

Friday, August 18, 2006 10:54 AM
Just got back from GM I trusted them and had them replace the ignition switch. The service tech showed me the old one and sure enough some of the contacts had burn marks on them so im pretty sure that was the problem hopefully it is after 200 dollars lol thanks for your help guys
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search