Ignition control module?? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ignition control module??
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 9:19 AM
Alright, so that cav has been acting up lately. The alternator died last week so I went out and replaced it. Then, this weekend the battery decided it was done as well so I replaced that.. Ever since then I've been having a very odd problem. Randomly the ABS light will pop on and I will start to lose power. Radio will turn off, and the blower for the ac will become really weak, and then they kind of alternate between which one gets power. Sometimes the radio will be on, other times it won't. Sometimes the ac will work at full power, other times it won't. I took the alternator and battery out and got both tested, both were fine. The odd thing is the car would keep starting up, so it wasn't losing power completely and this only happens randomly. Half the time the car runs fine. So I took it to Chevy to get it checked out and the car refused to do it. They called me back a few minutes ago and said they are pretty sure it's the ignition control module that's the problem, but they can't be sure and can't guarantee that this will fix it. So I pose this question to my fellow JBOers. Does this sound like it could be the problem? I just hate to buy the part and it not fix the car.

P.S. It's a 2002 2.4 automatic, by the way.

Re: Ignition control module??
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 9:25 AM
Check all your grounds.

Re: Ignition control module??
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 8:27 PM
Agree with El fuego but also

On my '93 2.2 I had a head gasket replaced and the tech broke the Ring crimped terminal on the Alternator main charging cable (Marked + or BATT on some)

The first indication of problem with the battery charging circuit was the ABS light coming on.

The Charge light circuit is separate, as it was still intact, the Alternator Charge light stayed out.

When the ABs light came on the battery was at quite a low voltage.

You may have a damaged/bad contact, main positive cable from the alternator to the battery (via the starter main positive cable). Mine also has a Fusible link in this line and yours could be bad.

Hope this helps

Alont
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search