97 cavalier z24 won't start - ideas please! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 cavalier z24 won't start - ideas please!
Sunday, August 13, 2006 10:34 AM
Can't get my 97 z24 started, its turning over but just won't start. I just replaced the alternator and serpentine belt, and then tried to jump start.

BIG stupid mistake - jumper cables were reversed. Would this be likely to cause damage? If so, to what? Any possibility of damage to the other vehicle that was used for the jump?

Any help here is greatly appreciated. And I know I'm an idiot, so please no comments on stupidity.

Re: 97 cavalier z24 won't start - ideas please!
Sunday, August 13, 2006 11:05 AM
check the fuses/relays.

Monday, August 14, 2006 11:19 PM
take off intake.. pour gas in the throttle body and see if it fires up.. if it does its the fuel pump im replacing mine right now..
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 4:26 AM
Paul Paradis wrote:Can't get my 97 z24 started, its turning over but just won't start. I just replaced the alternator and serpentine belt, and then tried to jump start.

BIG stupid mistake - jumper cables were reversed. Would this be likely to cause damage? If so, to what? Any possibility of damage to the other vehicle that was used for the jump?

Any help here is greatly appreciated. And I know I'm an idiot, so please no comments on stupidity.

im guessin' something shorted out. if you think its your fuel pump, turn the key to the on position and you should hear a slight hum. thats the fuel pump. if you hear it, its not the pump

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 9:58 AM
Jonathan shumacker wrote:take off intake.. pour gas in the throttle body and see if it fires up.. if it does its the fuel pump im replacing mine right now..

I had tried that, but didn't work. It seems like it just isn't firing. Tried checking the plugs for spark, but didn't see anything.
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:19 AM
Try inserting a paper clip or screw driver into #1 spark plug boot see if any spark is accuring, If not youre coil pack is wornout.
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 7:50 PM
You may have blown a Fusible link?

Did you check them after the reversed connection?

Just a thought

Alont
Friday, August 18, 2006 3:25 AM
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]
Paul Paradis wrote:Can't get my 97 z24 started, its turning over but just won't start. I just replaced the alternator and serpentine belt, and then tried to jump start.

im guessin' something shorted out. if you think its your fuel pump, turn the key to the on position and you should hear a slight hum. thats the fuel pump. if you hear it, its not the pump

ACTUALLYYYYYYYYYYYYY................mine made a hum long story short took it out the plastic line on it (looks like a thick straw) had broken.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search