What could this be? (Keyless Issue) - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What could this be? (Keyless Issue)
Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:33 AM
Ok folks here is the story. I own a 2002 Cavalier LS Sport with an Auto trans and the Ecotec engine. Last year my car was at the body shop for a few weeks getting some custom work done to it. I received a call from them saying that my car would start up and then die almost instantly. Thinking that it was very odd for a car that was fairly new, I headed over there to investigate. Turns out the issue was a fuse under the hood that went bad. Once replaced, the car ran just fine, and has ever since. Now its not uncommon for fuses to blow, metal corrodes and weakens over time and these things just happen. The day before this there was a rather intense lighting storm with some bolts hitting in the proximity of my car, and as anyone who is familiar with basic physics knows, a changing electrical current will have a changing magnetic field that can induce a current in wiring within the magnetic field. Perhaps that is why the fuse blew, and why I have been experiencing the following issue. Ever since that fuse blew and was replaced, my keyless entry acts funny. It will not lock any of the doors when I hit lock, but it will set the alarm if I want it to. It will only open the driver's side door, even if I hit the button twice. It does this with both remotes I have. All other functions of the remote work fine. All power functions in the car work fine. That is the only issue. It's not something major, but if it can be fixed rather easily I would like to do so. Any Ideas? BCM? Bad fuse? Thanks in advance for any help

Re: What could this be? (Keyless Issue)
Friday, August 11, 2006 9:08 AM
bump

Friday, August 11, 2006 11:31 AM
I kinda had a similar issue.

Check your wiring inside the door panel, and you can also check the fuses for your keyless.

Maybe one blew...

Hope this helps.

Friday, August 11, 2006 11:47 AM
I remember when I used to use the factory keyless with my car (97)...

It had a way to reconfigure or sync the key fobs up.... I believe you held Lock & unlock on the remote for like 7 seconds.. the car doors would lock & unlock to confirm...

I don't know if this is still the case w/ 02-- maybe check the owners manual.

Friday, August 11, 2006 8:35 PM
Thanks for the advice Sommer and RedDevil. I will check wiring, fuses, and I will try syncing the key fobs.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 4:48 PM
Keep changing fuses????? Maybe look for the cause . A fuse with only blow if it's under a high load they what the fuse is rated for ..check for wires that are on the same line I.E. Add ons like amp, Upgraded alarms bad grounds

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4235/jim25ek.jpg
Saturday, August 12, 2006 9:03 PM
Jimmaaaay! wrote:Keep changing fuses????? Maybe look for the cause . A fuse with only blow if it's under a high load they what the fuse is rated for ..check for wires that are on the same line I.E. Add ons like amp, Upgraded alarms bad grounds

The cause is exactly what I am trying to find. Only one fuse blew and it happened only once. Replaced it and 6,000 miles and 1 year later I have never experienced any trouble what so ever with the car starting. Lighting is a very powerful flow of electrons. Thus it has a very powerful magnetic field that can induce powerful currents and reap havoc on nearby electrical equipment. A few weeks ago lightning struck a tree near a friends home. Without even touching the house, their computer surge protector was destroyed, their neighbors satellite box stop working, and the other neighbor's phone died. Literally the day before the shop called me, there was a severe storm and lighting struck near the area the car was stored. I have little doubt in my mind that was the cause of the fuse blowing. I also have little doubt that it was the cause of this problem as well as I have experienced it from that very moment. There are no wires on the same line, however your suggestion is a good one, perhaps there is a single wire that fried. I will investigate that as well. Thanks for the advice.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 9:14 PM
Meant to say 9000 miles and 1 year, not 6000

Saturday, August 12, 2006 10:02 PM
Yeah know where your going with the storm and lighting hit but i don't think it would change the polarity of your car and keep it there However If the Remote was in the car at the time or the strike hit Or the receiver or near by it might of damaged the crystal inside the receiver. that "might" happen by way of Polarizaion thus fusing your chip somewhat and burning out that end of sending a signal to lock your doors. I'd go with looking for a burnt out wire a bad ground due to rust, dirt, Aswell you said the car was at the bodyshop getting work done???? was there any welding involed???? currents In a welder can really mess up a car aswell Even with the batt term, unpulged

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4235/jim25ek.jpg
Sunday, August 13, 2006 6:29 AM
Jimmaaaay! wrote:Yeah know where your going with the storm and lighting hit but i don't think it would change the polarity of your car and keep it there However If the Remote was in the car at the time or the strike hit Or the receiver or near by it might of damaged the crystal inside the receiver. that "might" happen by way of Polarizaion thus fusing your chip somewhat and burning out that end of sending a signal to lock your doors. I'd go with looking for a burnt out wire a bad ground due to rust, dirt, Aswell you said the car was at the bodyshop getting work done???? was there any welding involed???? currents In a welder can really mess up a car aswell Even with the batt term, unpulged

No I don't think there was any welding done while it was there. But you do bring up a good point about a bad ground, that would definitely make it act funny, I will look into that too. If all else fails I will bring it to the dealer and see if its a programming issue. Thanks again for the advice.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search