Buzzing in dash and won't start - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Buzzing in dash and won't start
Friday, August 11, 2006 6:31 PM
I just broke down headed out of town, just as I was getting to 60 mph the engine shut off and a buzzing started coming from behind the inst. cluster. If the key is left in the on position the cluster buzzes and I even got "error" on the odometer once. It will turn the engine but not fire. It's a 2000 Cavalier with a LD9 2.4 and 5 speed. I've got the battery unhooked right now to clear any errors and maybe "reset" the thing.

Re: Buzzing in dash and won't start
Friday, August 11, 2006 7:24 PM
actually this guy's problem is similar but mine isn't intermittent bot the cluster does appear to go nuts.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=93550&t=93550#93550
Saturday, August 12, 2006 9:05 AM
I talked to the service writer at the GM dealer today and he said it sounded like a bad short somewhere in the electrical. Anyone know where the most likely candidate would be?
Saturday, August 12, 2006 12:26 PM
UPDATE: I just got the car to start and run, I moved the tilt steering up and down with the key on until the buzzing stopped then fired it up. I imagine the short is somewhere on a wire harness that moves with the tilt.
Saturday, August 12, 2006 12:39 PM
I don't suppose someone could hook me up with a scan of a steering column exploded diagram?

I'm updating this thread as I go along in the hope that it helps someone in the future.
Saturday, August 12, 2006 6:43 PM
Got it figured. I pulled all the covering off the column and could make the car freak out on command by tapping the ignition switch lightly with the handle of a screwdriver. I pulled the switch apart, cleaned the contacts, and popped the main contact bus back in place as it had jumped out and was making a contact stick on. Put it back together, tap with driver and no freakout. The average joe should probably replace the entire switch as opposed to disassembly, electronics are my day job so there is a comfort level there.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search