How bout that, my CEL went out - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How bout that, my CEL went out
Thursday, August 10, 2006 11:07 AM
The CEL in my 96 Sunfire has been on steady since I bought it about a month ago. I haven't done anything major to the car, just changed the air anf fuel filters, changed the PCV valve and changed the oil and filter. I removed 2 spark plugs, put them back in (with anti-seize) and that's it. When I bought the car, I filled the tank and put a bottle of Redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner in the tank. I recently sprayed out the throttle body with throttle body cleaner. I've been using Shell V-Power 91 octane fuel when I can, but more often than not I usually use 87 octane fuel from Irving or Ultramar.

Re: How bout that, my CEL went out
Thursday, August 10, 2006 12:11 PM
Please, just use 87 octane. There are NO benifits to using 91 on a stock sunfire.
If anything your car will be slower.

But, everything else is cool.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 12:40 PM
and not to meantion the car is designed to run off of 87 octane

Thursday, August 10, 2006 1:22 PM
"The testing and performance evaluations of new & improved Shell V-Power gasoline did not directly compare Shell's premium gasoline to the competition's premium gasoline. The testing did however use new & improved Shell V-Power gasoline to clean up the power-robbing intake valve deposits caused by a base gasoline injected with the lowest allowable concentration of deposit control additive as specified in CGSB* standards. These results were very positive and demonstrated new & improved Shell V-Power gasoline's ability to help clean the engine faster than our previous formulation, which helps deliver improved performance while driving. As well, New & Improved Shell V-Power gasoline is designated a TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline by four of the world’s top automakers – BMW, GM, Honda and Toyota (for more information visit www.shell.ca/toptier)

* CGSB is the Canadian General Standards Board that develops Fuel Standards for Canada."

I use the 91 octane fuel for reasons like that above, plus I get triple Air Miles points when I buy minimum 20 bucks of the high octane stuff.
Thursday, August 10, 2006 1:41 PM
It's all marketing. Unless you have the gas tested, you don't know for s*** what you buy.

Use 87 with a cavy and that's all. Useless otherwise. Also, those airmiles are not really something great, remember, you pay for them. You better take more time to get to the same ammount of miles with alot more gas (using 87 compared to 91) than paying alot more and getting alot less.

Trust me, the Z is on 87 and the Gtz is on 94 so I know the cost. Petro Canada is the only one that sell "94" if it's really 94 octane. From what I see with my Gtz, it's a big rip off. I'm pretty sure that I pay for 94 but get 91.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, August 10, 2006 3:22 PM
If the guy wants to buy 91 octane, let him? Geez.

Friday, August 11, 2006 7:54 AM
get 87 octane. Your spending way to much money on hype.

All gasolines have detergents and your engine isn't properly tuned to take advantage of the higher octane. if anything your doing more damage than good.

-Chris

Friday, August 11, 2006 4:25 PM
More damage than good? Explain that one to me.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search