Checking A/C electrics - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Checking A/C electrics
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 6:23 PM
The A/C in my 1998 Cavalier has stopped working. The compressor clutch isn't engaging at all. The fuse in the engine bay is fine and the HVAC fuse in the passenger compartment is fine.

What other electrical parts should I check? How do I test the A/C relay?

(Yes, I did read the A/C sticky)

I was happy when I heard my car ran 10s. Then I found out that was 0-60.

Re: Checking A/C electrics
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 6:44 PM
The compressor wont engage if the A/C line pressures are to low. I'd start there, low side = ambient temp/ 2.5, and high side equals 2.5 times ambient tem.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 7:31 PM
How do I check that then? And just for reference, the A/C worked fine before last night when it suddenly stopped even engaging.

I was happy when I heard my car ran 10s. Then I found out that was 0-60.
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 8:19 PM
You need to take it to a shop that can check the pressures.

Friday, August 11, 2006 6:46 PM
If you are from the good ol USA or close to it, stop in at the local Walmart and pick up a guage and some gas so you can save yourself some money. You could also buy a kit on ebay. Usually what happens is a little bit leaks every year if the system isn't perfect and it'll get to threshold where the sensor will not let the compressor turn on but if you have a big hole in ur AC system it will be a bigger repair bill.
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:16 AM
To check your a/c relay, pull it out (under hood of 2.4) taking note of position and orientation. My relay had a diagram of the pins on the side...jump the two pins necessary (fuse box) as shown for relay to bridge the gap. Compressor should kick on. You probably are out of 134A. This will make racharging a breeze....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search