overheating!!! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
overheating!!!
Sunday, May 07, 2006 4:23 PM
i am pretty sure it is my fan motor, but has anyone replaced this on their own? is it that hard? temp gauge is working, radiator is not leaking, hoses are ok, am i on the right track? thanks for any help anyone can offer...

Re: overheating!!!
Sunday, May 07, 2006 5:14 PM
i know this might sound dumb but you would be suprised how often if not its overlooked, but check and make sure u have engine coolant in the resevoir. also u might need to replace the thermostat as sometimes when it gets old it doesnt open as well

Sunday, May 07, 2006 7:57 PM
ya as i just said in another post my car is almost doing the same thing well.. its doesnt over heat the temp is about average but the low coolant lights on and i just added some last nite. It comes on and off so im gonna be replacing the thermost stat tomorrow or sometime later this week to see hopefuly that will solve my problem.
Sunday, May 07, 2006 8:17 PM
Best way to tell if the thermostat is the problem is if you touch the upper rad hose when then engine gets really hot. If the thermostat is working, the hose will be warm/hot, and if it is not then the hose will be cold. As for your fan motor do you know that it's not turning on? I've heard of the fans not coming on until the engine is fairly hot on j bodys.

If it still isn't coming on swap the relay with a known good one and see if that works. If not try and get a multimeter and check and see if you have power going to the fan. If there is and the fan isn't on then you need a new motor. Hope any of these helps.
Monday, May 08, 2006 9:34 PM
does it overheat even if you're moving fast?

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 2:22 PM
it runs fine when im going over 40 mph, but when i sit at a light it goes over the 3rd big line on the guage, not to the red, i dont let it get that high. thanks for all the advise guys!
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 2:24 PM
corect me if im wrong but i believe thats normal....when ur at a light and ur temp goes high do u hear ur fan turn on?

you scratch my ride IMA EAT YO CHILDREN
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 5:23 PM
but not like 2 seconds after you stop

Takes maybe 15 minutes for the car to get that hot

Somebody told me.
"as long as it doesn't get to the red, you are okay blablablabla"

later I found out I had a blown head gasket!!!

if your car overheats in less than 3 minutes after you stop, its not normal.
unless you're driving very slow and there's a lot of traffic.

Does coolant come out of the overflow if you turn the car off? or does it get really hot? or do you have any leaks?
If so, its not normal

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 5:40 PM
no coolant leaks and there is no overflow comming out, and i havent let it get to the red yet, but it takes about 5 minutes to get over the 3rd long line on the temp guage. I did pick up a "studder" today.......... when im sitting still, the idle studders. i can only hear it in the exhaust.... i think i know where this is going.. head gasket right? it isnt a constant studder, just every 5 seconds or so.. im getting some help from another JBO member in Jacksonville, he said that he would look at it and see what could suggests.
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 5:58 PM
if coolant light comes on like when you floor it, its your waterpump.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 6:04 PM
the low coolant light never comes on.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 6:05 PM
it shouldn't go to the 3rd line.

let us know what he think the problem is.

you can also do a carbon dioxide test to the cooling system to check if there's a leak from the cylinder head into the cooling system

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search