Power window problem - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Power window problem
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 5:27 PM
ok i did a search but i didnt find any posts with the same problem
My driver side window only has this issue
it goes down some and stops and sometimes it goes back up
but its like the power only comes in intervals
if i move the window some until it cant move anymore, then leave it for a few minutes or even an hour or so, itll move again, but only a little bit
it just started happening monday
im thinking it might be the motor, but was wondering if there was any other input on this
and how much would a new motor cost, and how easy would it be to install?

Re: Power window problem
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 7:46 PM
Use an amp clamp, more than 4.5A ( as a general spec) it is drawing to much amprage and you have to much mechancial resistance, to littel amps and it has serious eletrical resistance.

Test the switch, do you have power in when it doesnt work, does it have power going out.

Do you have any loose connections.

You dont want to start tossing parts, maybe its the motor, maybe this or that.....test dont guess.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Thursday, May 04, 2006 4:20 AM
Rob S wrote:Use an amp clamp, more than 4.5A ( as a general spec) it is drawing to much amprage and you have to much mechancial resistance, to littel amps and it has serious eletrical resistance.

Test the switch, do you have power in when it doesnt work, does it have power going out.

You dont want to start tossing parts, maybe its the motor, maybe this or that.....test dont guess.

um yeah i definitely dont have an amp clamp......

Thursday, May 04, 2006 11:23 AM
themarin8r wrote:
Rob S wrote:Use an amp clamp, more than 4.5A ( as a general spec) it is drawing to much amprage and you have to much mechancial resistance, to littel amps and it has serious eletrical resistance.

Well then start tossing parts at it if you so choose.

I brought an amp clamp from Snap On for only $140.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Thursday, May 04, 2006 1:14 PM
It is the motor. Gets hot and then stops. Replace the window motor.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 1:55 PM
doesent sound like motor sounds more to a switch then me.. ive replaced them all.
a motor will go up and then start to go reallly slow..
a switch will just cut power at random it will always go same speed tho

then again u never said if it starts to go slow or not

Thursday, May 04, 2006 3:05 PM
Rob S wrote:
themarin8r wrote:

Well then start tossing parts at it if you so choose.

I brought an amp clamp from Snap On for only $140.

yeah cuz i have 140 bucks to burn on a tool ill use maybe a half dozen times

zsquee24 wrote:It is the motor. Gets hot and then stops. Replace the window motor.

Brandon Schmidt wrote:doesent sound like motor sounds more to a switch then me.. ive replaced them all.
a motor will go up and then start to go reallly slow..
a switch will just cut power at random it will always go same speed tho

then again u never said if it starts to go slow or not

it does seem to slow down some then stop, but it doesnt slow like gradually it goes, then slows then stops in a matter of like 3 seconds.
im gonna look at the switch first, then ill look at the motor

Saturday, May 06, 2006 12:40 PM
i've had all four motors replaced at least twice, and the switch replaced once...all under warranty.

now that the cars not under warranty anymore, i'm going to have to replace the drivers front and rear motors.

mine goes down and then won't go up, give it a minute and it'll go all the way up at normal speed. last time i replaced the motor it started out doing the same thing. eventually the wait time got longer and the length it went up got shorter.

called the dealership and its 182 bucks for a window motor. gmpartsdirect.com has the motor for 190. i'm looking in to the universal motor route right now, they're only 40 bucks but i don't know how well they work.

GO PATS!!!
Sunday, May 07, 2006 2:17 PM
ive read many of these threads in the Audio/Electronics Forum. Mine started doing this during the winter which i dealt with since i barely opened the window more than a crack. now its summer and i dont feel like taking the heat and driving with the AC on all the time. you could take apart the switch and try cleaning it out. i know i cleaned off the black deposits and the motor works a little bit better for the time being, but then goes back to junk.

Most posts say its the motor, and when you install it you need to lube the sliders or else it will be like crap. i think the motor is like $40 at Autozone, which is what im gonna buy and see how it works.

just search through the audio forum and there should be some help on how to take the motor out.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 2:20 PM
i did mine yesterday. pain in the but, but definately not worth the dealer price. the motors from autozone/kragen are stock remanufactured. works good. if you get stuck on anything or have questions, PM/Email me. its a lot harder than you'll initially make it out to be.

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 8:57 AM
So you can just replace the motor, you don't have to replace the whole regulator?

What exactly is involved with replacing the motor?

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 11:41 AM
first you have to drill out all the rivets (i think there's 5), then remove a few screws. after that you have to take the motor/regulator/arms all out as one assembly. after that, you take the motor off the assembly, bolt the new one back on, and reinstall.

i wish i could be more detailed, but there really isn't much more to it. there's little things i'm sure you'll get caught up on that i can't think of. like i said, if you hit a stop and can't figure it out, let me know. i'm online pretty much from noon til around five, just depends on whether or not i'm at the computer. when i'm not at the computer, i check back often.

GO PATS!!!
Wednesday, May 10, 2006 9:48 PM
hey had the same problem but mine was the grounding wire from the battery the one that goes down and connects to where the battery sits was loose i redid that and it was fixed but i was not just havin window problems so i dunno but it only happened to my passenger side window the driver and sunroof were fine
Thursday, May 11, 2006 7:15 AM
ahfunaki wrote:So you can just replace the motor, you don't have to replace the whole regulator?

What exactly is involved with replacing the motor?

Correct. This is why you buy a remanufactured motor. GM only sells them with the regulator.

I replaced my driver's side motor myself and it works better now than it ever did!

Be sure to lube all the tracks with some silicone lube and the sliders with some white grease. A bit of maintenance can save you from having to replace it again down the road.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search