universal window motors - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
universal window motors
Saturday, May 06, 2006 9:12 AM
ok guys, its time to replace the motors for both my drivers side windows. i know the process, i've searched. thing is, the dealership wants 182 bucks, gmpartsdirect.com wants 190, a universal is only 40 bucks from kragen.

my question is, how "universal" is a universal motor? is it a pain to make fit or fairly simple? is wiring going to be different or basically just mounting points?

i don't have a lot of time and it needs to be done by monday. i have to scan a badge to get in to my work through my window and neither of them roll down on the drivers side, i'd really rather not be the ghetto guy that has to open his car door to get in to work/order at the drive through/etc.

any help?

thanks
brian

GO PATS!!!

Re: universal window motors
Saturday, May 06, 2006 11:01 AM
I wouldnt buy a universal anything. The one from the dealer you know 100% it will work.

Dont be a cheap ass and buy something cheap to have it not work, then you have spend all the money on the junk ones and still have broken windows.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Saturday, May 06, 2006 12:26 PM
thats typically my motto, but 182 bucks is pretty steep. especially considering that i've got 3 motors burnt out. i'm not really too willing to spend over 500 bucks on new window motors.

GO PATS!!!
Saturday, May 06, 2006 12:47 PM
replace the drivers side only at first...do what you need to get by

2007 GM Tuner Bash...HELL YEA
PA,MD,NJ,DE,NY and all states north caravan
Saturday, May 06, 2006 2:25 PM
ok guys, i just pulled out the volt meter. i've got 6-7 volts at the wire harness when i hit the switch and i've got 6-7 volts at the switch. the pass side isn't off, but i hit the pass side button and have 6-7 volts at the pass switch too. are they supposed to have 12v or is 6 the norm?

GO PATS!!!
Saturday, May 06, 2006 2:44 PM
nevermind. i just remembered that the volt meter can't be grounded to an outside source, it has to be grounded using the ground from the part. now i'm reading over 12v. time to replace the motor...damn. the guy at kragen says the part they carry for 44 bucks SHOUL be a direct replacement for the factory motor. i'm goin to pull mine out and go compare and contrast.

GO PATS!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search