***SERIOUSLY HELP ME--THIS IS SO FD UP!! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
***SERIOUSLY HELP ME--THIS IS SO FD UP!!
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 4:33 PM
TRY NOT TO SHED A TEAR......So on march 12th,,, i traded my 2000 piece of @!#$ chevy impala for a 98 cavy z24. So far, it had to have a coil pack replaced, water pump, the coolant hose, and now....the engine @!#$ blew!!! It sounded like it was dying for the day, then at the end of the day it started makin this loud tick, even at idle, then when i gave it gas it got louder and faster. Friend says its a rod that was about to go thru the engine....other friend says its bearings. I drove it like this, with little or no loss in power, till i ran out of gas (lol) then i got it towed to the shop. The dealer says i went over 200 miles on the 3,000 mile (2 yr) warantee. He says i am at 78,391 as stands...and that i bought it with 75......I got an oil change on april 14th that clocked in at 74,400. I went on no major trips....and the car was in the shop for a week and a half when i first bought it for th ecoil pack. So tell me how i went from 75,000 something to 74,400 in approx 3 weeks taking no major trips??? I coulda sworn i had 76,000 something when i bought it. I still have to get the bill of sales tomorrow......BUT the big question here is....what the @!#$ do i do...here is what i have been schemin and plottin....(if the dealer is right about me being over 200miles)

Option#1-----Bargain with the dealer - "I will give u X amount of money if you switch the paperwork to say that it had like 400 more miles on it when i bought it." Will this work----i know it wont if the dealer has @!#$ty insurance....and i know it wont if he has to turn the milage into the insurance company when purchased....is it possible he could say he made a mistake??

Option#2-----Have friend work on engine....remember its a quad 4 which u have to be really good at to work on these things i think....my friends bearings went in his engine and he fixed it himself but he drives a mazda mx6.

Option#3-----Sell it in the paper....or take it to the junk yard as is

Option#4 ---have a dealer write off that i just bought the car and do the paperwork over and then buy extended warentee for like 500 and get it fixed....but would a dealer actually do this for me??? prolly not.

Option#5---Get a used engine from the junkyard put it in and sell it...

should i keep the car if i get the engine fixed...

what the @!#$ do i @!#$ do.

Re: ***SERIOUSLY HELP ME--THIS IS SO FD UP!!
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 4:38 PM
Cross posting is the devil.

Someone will help you in the other thread probably.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=59&i=7036&t=7036

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 5:26 PM
the dealership isn't going to work with you. its going to cost THEM money to replace your engine...i wouldn't bother with that...its fraud. i'd buy a used engine and put it in yourself (or have your friend help you). its not like cavaliers are found in abundance...you could easily get ahold of a motor.

GO PATS!!!
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 7:49 PM
Quad four motors arent the best.

If your around Chicago, IL, or Grand Rapids, MI I'll pay you $300 for the car though.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 8:37 PM
I used to work at a dealer and no they wouldn't help you out in any of the ways you suggested. Do what was pointed out above, and have your friend help you replace the engine, they're pretty cheap. By quad 4 do you mean the ACTUAL quad 4 or the 2.4L, because I know people that see them as the same engine which they actually are not.
Thursday, May 04, 2006 10:23 AM
Kyle Fraser wrote:Option#1-----Bargain with the dealer - "I will give u X amount of money if you switch the paperwork to say that it had like 400 more miles on it when i bought it." Will this work----i know it wont if the dealer has @!#$ty insurance....and i know it wont if he has to turn the milage into the insurance company when purchased....is it possible he could say he made a mistake??

no.......just no.....this is a bad idea, dont bargain with the devil. most used car salesmen are bastards, pure and simple. so lets move on:

Kyle Fraser wrote:Option#2-----Have friend work on engine....remember its a quad 4 which u have to be really good at to work on these things i think....my friends bearings went in his engine and he fixed it himself but he drives a mazda mx6.

first, its not a quad 4 you have, its a 2.4L twin cam LD9, same as whats in every other 96-99 z24 cavalier. secondly, i think the mazda engines are rotary, am i correct on this? maybe im not....but in any case, the 2.4L engines are not that hard at all.

i pulled mine and put a new one in in less then 2 days in my old z24.

Kyle Fraser wrote:Option#3-----Sell it in the paper....or take it to the junk yard as is

if you want feedback on this, you need to post pictures of every angle/interior/engine part of the car. post pics so we can see if its worth fixing. obviously you dont want to spend money on a POS.

Kyle Fraser wrote:Option#4 ---have a dealer write off that i just bought the car and do the paperwork over and then buy extended warentee for like 500 and get it fixed....but would a dealer actually do this for me??? prolly not.

nope. next idea:

Kyle Fraser wrote:Option#5---Get a used engine from the junkyard put it in and sell it...

should i keep the car if i get the engine fixed...

you could do this, but it is a lot of work. if you do buy an engine, MAKE SURE ITS FROM A 96-99 Z24 CAVALIER. not a grand am like i did. i spent efing 600 dollars on a grand am engine, spent a few days dropping it in, only to find my car wouldnt start. so i bought this new black cav and switched all my parts over.
now, months later, i find out that if you put a grand am engine in, you also have to change the PCM, ECU, wiring harness and transmisson sensor.

heres what i think you should do:

1) post pics of the car on here.
2) is the car a salvage? is it a manual or auto?
3) assumming its worth somthing (most z24s are at least worth fixing), buy a new engine with lower miles, replace some of the gaskets you can get to easily, and drop it in. then youll have a few years on the car ahead.

hope this helps.

- Cameron (CaliforniaCavalier)
- www.csc-motorsports.com (my new NOR-CAL car tuning site)

Friday, May 05, 2006 8:26 PM
california cavalier))________----- no the mx-6 and any other mazdas are not rotary EXCEPT the rx models ( rx= Rotary eXperimental __get it) mx6's came with a 4cy or v6. and don't ask what mx means cause well, it stands for nothing really.

as to the original poster...... ur @!#$ just playing! just switch motors. look up junkyards in your area, and you should be able to get an engine and wiring harness for about 400. not too bad really
Sunday, May 07, 2006 12:02 PM
ok the cheapest i can find is pontiac motor for 200 pulled at the junkyard.....but i guess i cant put pontiac moters in now....

What else could go wrong on the car...if i change the engine i mine as well get a new tranny. Thers a 50,000 mile z24 for 900 dollars used....thats the best i can find.

So ur sayin my friend could pull the engine nad drop a new one in if he did on his car? All i know is the mechanic wont bother fixing the rod bc he doesent want to be reliable for possibly messing the engine up.

The car runs great, pulls hard, looks great, i have some pics of the exterior...i want like 4 grand for it w/o motor, and 5 if i put one in it. I paid 5400 for it ...well i traded an impala for it but the dealer wanted 5400. C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-XHTR8HVC4P.001\My Documents\My Pictures\cav

i dont know if that will work how do u post a picture thats in my pictures folder?

http://myspace-755.vo.llnwd.net/00662/55/78/662308755_l.jpg

I think u can click on that link if u have a gayspace.

What else could really go wrong with the car if i fix the engine nad tranny if it has new water pump coil pack coolant hose and the clutch is fine. The car has had all these problems in not even 3 month period, should this tell me to just get rid of it cus more problems are to come, or should i just fix the engine and tranny and pray.
Sunday, May 07, 2006 12:13 PM
yea you can.....you just have to make sure you have the right motor.............

now its gotta be out of a 96-99.......so you can choose a cavalier, pontiac sunfire, pontiac grand am, anything else that had a 2.4 twin cam. It will swap in.

i put a grandam motor in my car and it swapped right in....and it was a 96

*************Yea i spell liek wrong get over it*****************
** If i write in caps its cause im @ work and i can only write in caps cause the keyboard is a retarded CAPS only keyboard.**
Sunday, May 07, 2006 12:39 PM
you could do this, but it is a lot of work. if you do buy an engine, MAKE SURE ITS FROM A 96-99 Z24 CAVALIER. not a grand am like i did. i spent efing 600 dollars on a grand am engine, spent a few days dropping it in, only to find my car wouldnt start. so i bought this new black cav and switched all my parts over.
now, months later, i find out that if you put a grand am engine in, you also have to change the PCM, ECU, wiring harness and transmisson sensor.

Well..............can i or can i not put a 2.2 grand am in there.

Should i get a cheap ass motor and sell it, or spend like 900 on getting a engine with low miles.

Yall think my friends could pull my moter and drop the new one in? It is a standard.

Or should i pay 400 to have the shop where its at right now to do it....because i would have to have it towed somewhere else and that would be more money.

I only get 20 miles per gallon on this car too....i dont know why.....maybye cus it was a @!#$ty engine.....i dont know i sorta wanna get rid of it for that reason.....but who knows if ill get better milage with the new engine..

What else could go wrong with the car besides the tranny and clutch?? Im sure the clutch is fine but i should prolly do the tranny while i am at the engine.....if i fix this....is there any other serious jobs that i could run in to???????

I sort of just wnat to get rid of the car and get another one with PREMIUM coverage now........what do yall think what would u do if u were me. I spell words wrong too snowman haah
Sunday, May 07, 2006 12:44 PM
and what is up with everyone doing eco tek swaps...what is this all about? Something i should look into if i decide on keeping the car??

Sunday, May 07, 2006 1:28 PM
You're worried about cost in swapping in the same engine you already have, so therefore you shouldn't be looking into an ecotec swap, as it is A LOT more expensive and a hassle then putting in a 2.4. Do as snowman said and find one of those cars at a junkyard that has the 2.4L in it, and get your friend to help you put that engine in your car.
Sunday, May 07, 2006 1:50 PM
Snowman wrote:now its gotta be out of a 96-99.......so you can choose a cavalier, pontiac sunfire, pontiac grand am, anything else that had a 2.4 twin cam. It will swap in.

that is not true. or you got really lucky. to swap a grandam 2.4L into a cavalier means you also must get part of the ECU harness, new PCM and the tranny module. because the sensors and timing in a grandam is not the same as the sensors and timing in a cavalier.

either you had to swap these other parts into it, or you got really lucky and frankly i cant believe it runs good....

moving on to help kyle:

Kyle Fraser wrote:Well..............can i or can i not put a 2.2 grand am in there.

you mean 2.4? no. find a 2.4L engine OUT OF A CAVALIER and put that in. if you get it out of a grandam there are sensor and timing problems you may run into.

Kyle Fraser wrote:Should i get a cheap ass motor and sell it, or spend like 900 on getting a engine with low miles.

you can get a good engine with low miles for around 600$. you can get a wrecked one with higher miles for around 100-200$. depends really.....you could buy the cheaper one and put all new gaskets and seals throughout, or just buy the other and not have to mess with it.

Kyle Fraser wrote:Yall think my friends could pull my moter and drop the new one in? It is a standard.

yeah, easily. as long as you have an engine hoist you are fine. me and a couple of my friends did my swap in my old car in a few days.

Kyle Fraser wrote:Or should i pay 400 to have the shop where its at right now to do it....because i would have to have it towed somewhere else and that would be more money.

crap man....if the shop would do a full swap with a running car then i would for sure pay the 400$, just make them sign somthing saying they will guarentee it running after they are done. that sounds too cheap....if its over 600$ i say do it yourself. but for 400$, hell yeah! go for it!

Kyle Fraser wrote:I only get 20 miles per gallon on this car too....i dont know why.....maybye cus it was a @!#$ty engine.....i dont know i sorta wanna get rid of it for that reason.....but who knows if ill get better milage with the new engine..

yeah my old engine that had high miles and was leaking got crappy gas mileage too. the lower the miles = better gas mileage.

Kyle Fraser wrote:What else could go wrong with the car besides the tranny and clutch?? Im sure the clutch is fine but i should prolly do the tranny while i am at the engine.....if i fix this....is there any other serious jobs that i could run in to???????

if the clutch feels solid and the tranny fluid is clean (no metal shavings in the fluid, etc.) then just leave that tranny and attach it to the new engine, then drop both in. i wouldnt mess with the tranny unless you see somthin in need of repair.

Kyle Fraser wrote:I sort of just wnat to get rid of the car and get another one with PREMIUM coverage now........what do yall think what would u do if u were me.

if you have the money do buy a better car.....why the hell are you even bothering with this car? but if you are tight on money like most of us on here, then i would recommend just doing the swap/having the shop do it, and have a nice z24 for a few years.

hope this all helped.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 2:52 PM
the cav i have is a 98 z24.....that means it is a 2.2 liter ...correct?? Im pretty sure thats what it is....so i should beable to go a sunfire/grand prix swap. When i accellerate i can hear a weird noise i think its the tranny.... i never checked the tranny fluid for metal shavings....theres metal in my oil thou from the engine @!#$ up i checked that.... does this mean ill need an oil change too once i put the new engine in it.
Sunday, May 07, 2006 2:59 PM
Quote:

the cav i have is a 98 z24.....that means it is a 2.2 liter ...correct??

nope. the year doesn't determine the 2.4 or 2.2, the trim does. the 2.2 liter engine was in the base model cavs. if you are SURE that your car is a z24, then it has a 2.4 engine in it. go outside and pop your hood, if the top of the engine says twin cam, its a 2.4.

you can put a 2.2 into your car, but there's more to it than just dropping in a 2.4

GO PATS!!!
Sunday, May 07, 2006 3:18 PM
yeah its a 2.4 because its a z24 im stupid. Should i put in a 2.2 or a 2.4 wouldnt a 2.2 be cheaper and easier to find? What about the guy who says i have to get all this extra @!#$ to put in a grand am engine into my car.

i just have this question::::

WHAT ELSE CAN GO WRONG WITH THE CAR UNDER THE HOOD????? ONCE I REPLACE THE ENGINE BESIDES THE TRANNY AND CLUTCH AND WATER PUMP???? THAT ARE BIG JOBS???

SENSE THIS CAR KEEPS @!#$ UP AND I THINK ITS A PIECE OF @!#$....I ALLREADY REPLACED WATER PUMP NOW ENGINE AND COOLANT HOSE....IS THER ANYTHING ELSE UNDER TEH HOOOD THAT COULD REALLY @!#$ UP ONCE I REPLACE THIS?? THIS IS MY DETERMINING FACTOR IF I SHOULD GET A @!#$TY ENGINE NAD SELL IT OR GET A GOOD ENGINE AND KEEP IT.

Anyone want to buy this @!#$ up engine?? Make an offer....its a ticking rod....maybye the rod bearings idk.
Sunday, May 07, 2006 3:37 PM
this is like trying to explain rocket science to a 3 year old...ha

kyle listen. put ONLY a 2.4L engine from another z24 into your car. a 2.2 is a piece of &#^% that can barely haul the weight of the car, not to mention it wouldnt bolt up and the wiring harnesses are diffrent.

even after you replace the engine and/or tranny....hundreds of things can go wrong months or years down the road....like every car....i dont understand what you are asking.....if you are asking if you have a car that will be able to go a million miles....then no.

all cars break. having a new engine in there will simply make it more reliable.

and again:

POST SOME PICS OF THE CAR SO WE CAN TELL YOU WEATHER OR NOT ITS WORTH KEEPING AND PUTTING MONEY INTO.

thanks.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 4:18 PM
how do i post pics?? I have 2 pics of the exterior on MYSPACE......http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=14718005 i will get pics of the engine ASAP.
Sunday, May 07, 2006 5:36 PM
looks fine from those 2 pics. post more pics tho of the body and interior. or email me the pics and i will upload and host them for you.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 4:58 PM
check ur email california cav ....
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 9:09 PM
yo everyone im selling this once i fix it,, just because its pissing me off. I am only asking 5 grand it has 78,391 miles. I live in upstate NY, half hour from PA, hour from syracuse. excellent condition inside and out and will include and eclipse sub and pioneer cd player and speakers (allready mounted into headrests.) leave it. Other extras as well.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 11:28 PM
Kyle Fraser wrote:check ur email california cav ....

i got no email from you. resend the files to subwayguy@gmail.com

- www.csc-motorsports.com (my new NOR-CAL car club site!)

Saturday, May 20, 2006 1:18 PM
how much can i get for my messed up engine ?
Sunday, May 21, 2006 10:45 AM
sorry to say a 89 and 99 2.4 ld9 are not exactly the same setup aswell as pcm they go 95/69-98/99-02 one big differnce in 98&99 is 98 has an egr valve 99-02 dont have egr valve thus causing a 96-98 body with 99+ motor to trip pcm for egr making inspection a btch. lol

friends dont let friends roll stock
Sunday, May 21, 2006 10:52 AM
95/96-98/99-02* last post

friends dont let friends roll stock
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search