Rust Forming - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rust Forming
Tuesday, May 02, 2006 5:29 PM
Alright, this car has 145k on it and is finially begining to rust so I was just waiting for the day. I have two spots, one is about 9" long and maybe 2" high (behind the rear tire just above the bumper on the side)...the other, which is actually a rock chip is on the roof and is about o <----That big. How do I go about fixing these and will I have to repaint the whole pannels or will it look good just with spot painting?

Re: Rust Forming
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 10:28 AM
you can have a shop do this, easily, if your willing to spend the $$.

the small one on the roof can probably be lightly sanded, and repainted as long as you have exact match paint.

the other large portion needs to be sanded down, then coated with a liquid that kills rust. all body shops have it.

then once the rust is dead they will re sand it again, bondo anything that is needed and paint it. the process might run you a few hundred bucks, so thats for you to decide.

hope this helps

- Cameron (CaliforniaCavalier)
- www.csc-motorsports.com (my new NOR-CAL car tuning site)

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 10:36 AM
CaliforniaCavalier wrote:then coated with a liquid that kills rust. all body shops have it.

I think I saw some of this stuff at a store the other day. It turns rust to black. I would like to do this on my truck, but there are parts on the bed where it's rusted through, leaving a hole. And what do I do about rust that hasn't come out yet? (Meaning rust that might be just bubbles in the paint right now.)

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Thursday, May 04, 2006 12:04 AM
i used the rust killer formula on an old truck of mine and it worked great!

if there is already a hole....THATS BAD, lol.

try to see how much it is to replace the whole piece. if its a body panel you will have to get a metal sheet bondoed on and sanded and painted which can be costly.

hope this helps

- Cameron (CaliforniaCavalier)
- www.csc-motorsports.com (my new NOR-CAL car tuning site)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search